Stem Length Issue

Cferg
Cferg Posts: 347
edited September 2011 in MTB beginners
My current stem is about 100mm, I'm struggling with lifting the front wheel for manuals and the like, would a shorter stem around 60-70mm rectify this problem ?

Cheers !

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Maybe, probably yes, but the issue could be more fundamental, such as your bike is an Orange 5 ;). 100mm is too long in my humble opinion for _anything_ (except the 90s)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cferg
    benpinnick wrote:
    your bike is an Orange 5 ;).

I wish mate ! :lol:

Aye 100mm is alright for longer XC rides that dosent feature too much singletrack but it gets a bit edgy on the steeper stuff, cheers for that !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cferg wrote:
    My current stem is about 100mm, I'm struggling with lifting the front wheel for manuals and the like, would a shorter stem around 60-70mm rectify this problem ?

Cheers !
    No. The problem will be the technique. Nail the technique and it won't be a problem any more.
  • Cferg
    Obviously it is the technique that is the problem, but I was just wondering if the stem length was making it more difficult to learn the technique properly. On other bikes with much shorter stems I find it alot easier to manual however that may be down to different geometries etc.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Change the stem and try it, you can always change it back.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2