Alpkit Gourdon Rucksacks

grantelliott1
grantelliott1 Posts: 32
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
Any users of the Gourdon bag from Alpkit? Looking to carry a change of clothes, a towel and pair of shoes for work but not sure whether to go for the 20L or the 25L.

Thanks

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got one, for that I've probably go for the 25L. I leave my clothes and shoes at work, so I'll carry wallet, keys, lunch, occasionally a shirt, pump, multitool, sometimes overshoes/jacket/baselayer depending on weather and my 20L one is just right, with shoes as well it would be snug. Not that it wouldn't fit in the bag, it might just be uncomfortable on your back if the contents of the bag are really squashed in.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I've got both, i use to 20l most days - carrying trousers, shoes, wash kit, puncture kit / tools, and a gilet / waterproof. I'd have to use the 25l if i wanted to get a towel in there aswell, but that would also give me space for a rolled shirt, so all depends how well prepared I've been leaving kit at the office.

I do find the pocket and webbing useful on the 20l and it also seems a bit more robust on the bottom of the pack, has some strengthening panels stitched on.

both fantastic bags though, and completely waterproof as you'd expect.
  • Any users of the Gourdon bag from Alpkit? Looking to carry a change of clothes, a towel and pair of shoes for work but not sure whether to go for the 20L or the 25L.

Thanks

I went for the 25L and I'd also recommend it. Fits everything in it and looks good, only issue I have is the clear viewing window. To get round this I've ordered a pack liner from ebay for around £4.
  • I've got the 25L. I carry a lunch box, Keys wallet phone, Trousers, Shirt, Jumper and Waterproof Jacket. But all of that is a tight fit.
    Commuter: Boardman Hybrid Team 2011
  • Thanks for all the input - 25L it is! I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
  • only issue I have is the clear viewing window. To get round this I've ordered a pack liner from ebay for around £4.

With winter coming try stuffing a hiz viz vest (£2 at aldi at moment) down the pack, instead of displaying your stuff to the world you get a nice long 2 inch wide strip of reflective visible through the clear window.

Been pleased so far with my 25L very light, comfortable and surprisingly big - but narrow profile so it doesn't impede the shoulder check. And very waterproof
  • kiwimatt wrote:
    only issue I have is the clear viewing window. To get round this I've ordered a pack liner from ebay for around £4.

With winter coming try stuffing a hiz viz vest (£2 at aldi at moment) down the pack, instead of displaying your stuff to the world you get a nice long 2 inch wide strip of reflective visible through the clear window.

Been pleased so far with my 25L very light, comfortable and surprisingly big - but narrow profile so it doesn't impede the shoulder check. And very waterproof

I tried the hiz vest method and its a right pain, each time you go in and out of your pack you need to realign the vest. If your in a rush forgot it, instead I purchased a bag liner; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250878047986#ht_2612wt_877 got a bright green one which fits inside perfectly. Also provides extra protection to the inside of the bag if you carry anything sharp (corner of bike pump for example).
  • I tried the hiz vest method and its a right pain, each time you go in and out of your pack you need to realign the vest. If your in a rush forgot it, instead I purchased a bag liner; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250878047986#ht_2612wt_877 got a bright green one which fits inside perfectly. Also provides extra protection to the inside of the bag if you carry anything sharp (corner of bike pump for example).

Fair enuff - but double dry bag...that's really dry :)

I haven't got fed up with the vest thing yet as ferreting in the pack is limited to setting off in the morning and coming home from work again - tend to unpack when I get there - but it may well come to that I'll keep the liner link cheers
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got the 20l but then I leave my wash kit, towel, shoes and trousers at work. Most days I'm just transporting underwear and a t-shirt and so I've got the compression straps pulled tight.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    It was very very wet (again) in Glesga today both in and home

And the Alp kept all contents drier than a dry thing on a dry day. Light and comfy on the back too.

For not much over £20 my best purchase of the year the humble Gourdon :)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    And judging by your user name, you'd know about rain!
    Worth mentioning for peeps who only know Alpkit rucksacks, the rest of their stuff is excellent! I'm no climber, but I've got one of their v. reasonable head torches, pair of jeans (gusseted for riding comfort) & two down gilets, all delivered speedily and with a hand-written "thank you for your order" slip enclosed.
  • DrLex wrote:
    all delivered speedily and with a hand-written "thank you for your order" slip enclosed.

Yeah thought that was a nice touch, the tees they sell are good quality as well just a shame no sun to go with them at the moment :)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I like the note too!

I've also got the head torch, some of their mesh bags and zip up organiser bags, and a Filet down jacket. I'm hoping it gets stupidly cold again this year so I can make the most of it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Thank you note makes me want to buy more. Luckily it's not rained when i've had to use mine as yet.
    Commuter: Boardman Hybrid Team 2011
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I bought the 25L pack for an adventure race in scotland this year. Last year I did the same race in all day rain and my pack ended up weighing a ton with all the water.

As it turned out - the day was dry and sunny so I used the old pack as it had more functionality - pockets etc.

I've done some riding and running with the Alpkit though and its been fine. I've just added a wide strip of 3M reflective tape alongside the window for extra visibility. I'm not bothered about people seeing into it.

For the price - its amazing - and I've used it for kayaking too - kept everything bone dry.