Stem fitting question...

jamLCFC
jamLCFC Posts: 197
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I have 2009 Stumpjumper FSR and have a stem fitting issue. I have fitted the Hope headset and this seems to be thicker than the one previously fitted.

stem.jpg

Couple of questions:

Is this an unacceptable amount of stem not in contact with the fork stem? It is a lot more than i have ever had `showing` previously.

If it is then what are my options? Can i have a `thinner` headset to resolve the issue?

Help and comments are greatly appreciated

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Compulsive tinkerer....my ideas far far outway my ability and that makes things costly !!

Comments

• Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    Unnacceptable. Should be no more that about 2mm

Option 1 - install a headset with a lower profile

Option 2 - new fork for longer steerer
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I reckon you'd get away with it, but I'm surprised you have that issue. Did the steerer have no spacers on it? A lower stack headset would be better, but it's probay not needed.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not ideal, however as long as the top of the steerer as above the centreline of the top pinch bolt on the stem then it shouldn't cause an issue.

As for Danlubes 2mm, how does he achieve that when most spacer min thicknesses are 5mm or in multiples of?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    Btw, my new fork was installed by LBS, and there are 5mm between the steerer tube and the stem. No idea why they've cut the steerer tube so short...
  • Danlube
    Not ideal, however as long as the top of the steerer as above the centreline of the top pinch bolt on the stem then it shouldn't cause an issue.

As for Danlubes 2mm, how does he achieve that when most spacer min thicknesses are 5mm or in multiples of?

Simon

The depth of the steerer from the top of the stem (top cap)
    Not the distance between the headset and stem.
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • jamLCFC
    benpinnick wrote:
    ......lower stack headset would be better, but it's probay not needed.

Thought thi smay very well be the preferred option looking at a better safe than sorry approach...

any suggestions on a headset? Can i get a Hope low stack?

Thanks
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Compulsive tinkerer....my ideas far far outway my ability and that makes things costly !!
  • benpinnick
    What came off? Why did you change it? Its difficult to be precise without all the headsets lined up in front of me, but off the top of my head I would say a decent Cane Creek might do it. Best go into your LBS though and put some side by side.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Danlube wrote:

Simon

The depth of the steerer from the top of the stem (top cap)
    Not the distance between the headset and stem.

Yes I know that FGS, however when spacers are 5mm how do you adjust that clearance to 2mm? You can't! you can must make the clearence between top cap and steerer less than 5mm......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Danlube
    Hang on got confused, I thought this was a new fork being installed aswell as the headset. Ahem :(
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    2-5mm is normal. Or above the top of the top of the thread of the topbolt. This looks more than 5mm!
  • jamLCFC
    the reason the issue has occured is the change in headset...

the previous headset was knackered and the Hope is one that i had available

my preferred solution would be to keep and use the Hope.

SS is correct i would say its 8mm ish so i am looking to save around 5mm i guess.

The Hope standard is 31mm so i need 26ish at a maximum.

Time for some searching...

• benpinnick
    Crank Brothers Cobalt XC SL - looks pimp, 31 squids from CRC and a full 10mm shorter stack than your current. Sorted.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • jamLCFC
    are the poor reviews on the Crank Brothers Headsets justified...?