stripped brake mount

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
So I just bought a new used fork (totems) that i got dirt cheap, but have just found that the top brake mount (post mount, obviously) is stripped slightly, though I've managed to get a longer bolt to hold the brake on, do you think it will hold, or is it best just to get the seller to send me a refund and send the fork back? I'm thinking about just getting the longest bolt i can in there, seeing how it holds, and if it does go wrong, get it heli coiled or something, i did get the fork pretty damn cheap
cheers
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Goto a tool/hardware shoud and buy a tap and retap the hole, in theory that should do it, if not you may have to increase the hole by 1mm which i would not recommend.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • ilovedirt
    Well the first probably 6 or 7 mm of thread, the bolt just pushes in, so i'm not sure it would be able to be re-tapped.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it's a new fork, send it back. New forks shouldn't have stripped threads.
  • ilovedirt
    edited September 2011
    Nah it's not new, it's used. It has had the travel reduced to 160mm, so the seller let it go for a song, but didn't mention the stripped brake mount... I guess i should have been clearer in my original post.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nah it's not new, it's used. It has a stripped brake mount, so the seller let it go for a song. It's also had the travel reduced to 160mm

FTFY

If there's a good few turns of engaged thread it'll probably be alright, just don't brake hard whilst rolling backwards... Helicoil if you've got room on the mount would be a more permanent solution.
  • ilovedirt
    FTFY??

Yeah there's a good few turns on there I think, I may go down to the LBS and get the longest bolt I can find, I'm not planning on doing any fakies or anything crazy though!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    FTFY = Fixed that for you :-)

Just use it, and keep an eye on, if it's got some decent engagement it'll likely be fine.
  • ilovedirt
    Ah yeah, well the seller may not have even noticed if he had longer brake mount bolts or something, I dunno. For the price I can't complain too much I guess if it holds up.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I had this problem last week, a helicoil should fix it (it did with me)
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • ilovedirt
    Fair enough, thanks for the input
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5