Bending brake levers.

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
My littlest nipper has just moved up a bike, but is struggling to grip the brake lever as the reach is a bit too far for her little hands.

If I heated them up with a blow torch do you reckon they would bend in a bit, or would they just snap off?

Anyone tried?

I know this should probably go in workshop, but its a little quiet in there.
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What are they made of?
    Carbon => No
    Metal => No (how good is your blowtorch?)
    Plastic => Possibly, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Can you find an alternate pair with less reach?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You can get spacers for a smaller reach (usually)
  • Erm - personally I'd get Social Services involved and you arrested for child cruelty, you b*stard.

Some people.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    dont they make shim's you can put behind the leavers to move them closer for people with small hands?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Don't do this. If the levers are weakened, the first you know of it might be when the brakes are used with any force. Not, in all likelihood, a good time to find out.

Instead, figure out a way to shim the brake levers, ie. adjust the brakes so that they bite when the levers are closer to the bars, and affix something to the body of the brake lever to prevent them from springing all of the way out. To get an idea of what I mean, look up how "reach adjustment" is achieved on things like Sram Force/Red levers.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Erm - personally I'd get Social Services involved and you arrested for child cruelty, you b*stard.

Some people.....

:D Yes. I had to read it a couple of times.... a most disturbing image!
    Graham.
  • Assuming v-brake style levers.

There should be a little screw between the cable and the bars, this'll push the lever in. If it doesn't adjust enough then get a longer wood screw. You will need to losen the brakes a little bit.

If there isn't a screw, you could drill a small hole and fit one, have a chat to the guys in your lbs and they should be able to show you what i mean.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Assuming v-brake style levers.

There should be a little screw between the cable and the bars, this'll push the lever in. If it doesn't adjust enough then get a longer wood screw. You will need to losen the brakes a little bit.

If there isn't a screw, you could drill a small hole and fit one, have a chat to the guys in your lbs and they should be able to show you what i mean.

Failing that these are decent levers with a reach adjust that wont brake the bank:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=22388
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Have a word with Islabikes as they make bikes for children/short adults.

www.islabikes.co.uk
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Assuming v-brake style levers.

yep V brakes but as its a bit of a BSO, they haven't got the reach adjuster screws, which is a shame as they brakes don't need much travel

Will investigate shims or maybe I can use the levers off her old bike if they have enough grab.
    What are they made of?
    Carbon => No
    Metal => No (how good is your blowtorch?)
    Plastic => Possibly, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    How many kids bikes come with carbon levers? Would I really suggest a blowtorch on plastic? Really some people shouldn't be let out during the week. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You can probably get new adjustable levers from Halfords for not a lot of money if you don't find a solution.

I wouldn't recommend bending the lever arms unless they're steel. If they're aluminium you'll risk setting them on fire; you'll definitely get a lot of oxidisation even if they don't actually ignite.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}