Garmin HRM Issues

notsoblue
notsoblue Posts: 5,756
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Has anyone got the Garmin HRM (soft strap)? What have your experiences been with it? Mine refuses to show the correct HR, only every now and again flashing up ~80bpm. I know about wetting sensors, placement etc... and the battery has been replaced. Now considering sending it off for a replacement. Just wondering if theres anything else that can be done...

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    it means your heart is not working.

Keep HRM & send off heart for a replacement - assuming you still have the guarantee it came with
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    notsoblue wrote:
    Has anyone got the Garmin HRM (soft strap)? What have your experiences been with it? Mine refuses to show the correct HR, only every now and again flashing up ~80bpm. I know about wetting sensors, placement etc... and the battery has been replaced. Now considering sending it off for a replacement. Just wondering if theres anything else that can be done...

I had the same issues(eventauly wouldnt connect at all) - Garmin Uk sent me out the older strap - although a tiny bit noticeable when riding, it works a treat.
  • notsoblue
    antlaff wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I had the same issues(eventauly wouldnt connect at all) - Garmin Uk sent me out the older strap - although a tiny bit noticeable when riding, it works a treat.

Cool cheers, I'll see what they say!
  • Thats the new one with the side clasp and continuous strap under the unit? Mine works fine, tho I do wear it quite tight. Had to rescan twice before it recognised it but since then been solid.

Sounds like yours is a duff one... have you tried popping it off the poppers and cleaning those contacts?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • notsoblue
    Thats the new one with the side clasp and continuous strap under the unit? Mine works fine, tho I do wear it quite tight. Had to rescan twice before it recognised it but since then been solid.

Sounds like yours is a duff one... have you tried popping it off the poppers and cleaning those contacts?

Yep, tried all that. Annoyingly it worked perfectly for about 6 months and then just stopped. It does appear to be detected by the Garmin 800, but the heartrate telemetry is just really inaccurate and mostly just shows as blank.
  • DaveL
    DaveL Posts: 188
    Or you could try this http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html I think you can pick up the strap only for about 12 quid. I use mine with a Polar HR monitor and never had a problem with it, and when I get a garmin I will be using this strap.

Dave
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I've got the same problem. Garmin have said they'll replace it but I can't find the receipt. My issues are definitely movement related as when I'm stopped at traffic lights, it shows the correct reading. As soon as I move it spikes to over 220bpm and stays there.

Not seen the DC Rainmaker page before, will have a look at that too.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob
    Well, that may have proved to be an expensive fix. Found the HRM strap on Wiggle for less than £11. Unfortunately I noticed that they had an extra 10% off of waterproofs and inner tubes, so spent a total of £150 to (hopefully) fix a £11 problem.
  • notsoblue
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Well, that may have proved to be an expensive fix. Found the HRM strap on Wiggle for less than £11. Unfortunately I noticed that they had an extra 10% off of waterproofs and inner tubes, so spent a total of £150 to (hopefully) fix a £11 problem.

Did you get the Polar or a replacement Garmin strap?
  • Wrath Rob
    Polar. For £11 I thought it would be worth the punt.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/polar-spare-ela ... -wearlink/
  • notsoblue
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Polar. For £11 I thought it would be worth the punt.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/polar-spare-ela ... -wearlink/

Hmmm, now do I wait and see what results you have or...YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN PLACED ON WIGGLE.
  • Wrath Rob
    Come on then, what else did you buy at the same time ;)
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Totaly off topic: Notsoblue, you didn't live in the Netherlands when you were younger did you?
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • jfw
    jfw Posts: 41
    i had the same problem and replaced with polar strap - much better (I had particular issues running, more than biking)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Wrath Rob
    Yeah, but the point is that the Garmin HRM has a design flaw that means you need anti-static sprays, ECG gel etc. I'd rather switch to a solution that removes the need for that if I can.

Wiggle have now processed my order so hopefully I'll have the strap tomorrow or Thursday and I can report back one way or the other.
  • DaveL
    DaveL Posts: 188
    I've been using Polar belts for the last 6-7 years, and have only wet them with water, and never had a problem.

Dave
  • For what its worth mine has worked fine without any gels, spells or other magic for over a year - right up to the point I read this thread when it promptly became afflicted on the next ride. Damn.

It seems to be a well known issue. I tried changing the battery but that didnt help.

Examining the press studs and the "poppers" that mate with it under a microscope I can see all kinds of nasty corrosion that could cause a poor connection. Also the silver plating on the press stud is clearly flaking/wearing off.

Ordered a fresh one off Wiggle but it seems a bit pricey to be a disposable item even if I do wear it twice a day most days.
  • notsoblue
    Well the HRM seems to work again with the new strap! Will give it a proper test round the park tonight. The Polar strap really is much better than the Garmin one.
  • Wrath Rob
    Mine should be arriving today. However on this morning's commute, with 2 layers on so no flapping of my base layer, the Garmin strap worked fine. Going to ditch it anyway as its definitely the root cause.
  • notsoblue
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Mine should be arriving today. However on this morning's commute, with 2 layers on so no flapping of my base layer, the Garmin strap worked fine. Going to ditch it anyway as its definitely the root cause.

The Polar strap is way more comfortable anyway. Much better design.