Had an off - broken hand ! :(

Dalton
Dalton Posts: 265
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
As per the title, came off bike this morning and have managed to break my right hand.

Stupidly, as the weather was shit I thought I would be safer on the cycle lanes.

However, after moving out the way to let another rider pass me, I rode over a flat curb with the front wheel at a slight angle. Big mistake! It slid out from underneath me and I hit the ground like a sack of spuds.

I sat dazed for a good 10 mins in the middle of a cycle lane, bike on top of me, in the pouring rain, alongside a main road, whilst the morning commuters (drivers) happily drove past ignoring me.

Then a Black Cab driver spotted me as he drove past, turned round and came to my rescue. He drove me and my bike to my place of work and refused to take any money from me - what a Gent!

In my state of shock I forgot to ask his name, so Thank-you - whoever you are!!

Have now been to Hospital and am home with a strapped up hand in a sling.

Bad times, but could have been worse, Doc said I was lucky not to break wrist/ collarbone.

:(

Comments

• Commisserations!! Not a great start to the week. :cry:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that. How long till you can cycle again?

Glad to hear someone looked after you.

FYI, it is de rigeur in descriptions of accidents to pointlessly mention whether you were wearing a helmet.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    And to think of the stick that taxi drivers generally get on here... :lol: Really decent of him.

Hope you heal soon!
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Aw, not the right one. I hope you have an understanding missus.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Dalton
    He was spot on! A cyclist himself, was asking me about my bike on way to my workplace.

Can't believe the amount of people that ignored me.

Also, when he did stop and help me and bike into cab, passers by obviously assumed he had hit me and all slowed down to have a look.

• Dalton
    Aw, not the right one. I hope you have an understanding missus.

Yes, my right hand (and am right handed!)

Am single and live alone, should be fun.

:D
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Good if you like S&M I suppose.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Chapeau to the taxi driver
  • Gussio wrote:
    Chapeau to the taxi driver

Give him a big hand...

Oh. :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    now you see all taxi drivers ain't bad

sorry to here about your wrist mate....i broke my collar bone when i hit a car on my bike when i was a wee nipper, it wasnt pretty an took forever to fix. my collar bone still has a weird lump where the bones knitted together
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Sorry to hear about your hand, hope it heals up quickly.

Might be worth dropping a letter to your local paper thanking the cab driver, he or someone he knows might see it there.
  • Hope you get better soon :

and +1 to Graeme_S : you might try the local radio station too : always on in taxi offices!!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    What a pain! Best of luck, hope you got some good pain-killers and heal quickly!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Jens Voigt did the same thing yesterday, so you are in good company
  • Dalton
    The worst thing is trying to get used to doing everything one (left) handed!

Feck knows how I am going to wash the sink full of dishes later.

:?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Dalton wrote:
    The worst thing is trying to get used to doing everything one (left) handed!

Feck knows how I am going to wash the sink full of dishes later.

:?
    Isn't that what the other half is for :p

Hope it gets better soon. I broke my elbow a few years ago and doing everything with the "wrong" had was the worst bit. Even simple things like going to the loo or cleaning your teeth became a real chore. Again, the mrs came in handy and I lived the life of a lazy king for a couple of weeks before she got bored and threatened to break the other arm if I didn't start doing some of it myself.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Sorry to hear about the off. Hope you heal up well.
    Time to hang around the local halls of residence for student nurses looking forlorn. One may take sympathy on you and *ahem* give you a hand.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Dalton
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Sorry to hear about the off. Hope you heal up well.
    Time to hang around the local halls of residence for student nurses looking forlorn. One may take sympathy on you and *ahem* give you a hand.

HaHa

Might not be such a bad idea. The females (nurse & doctor) that looked after me in A&E today were both yummy!

• I broke my right arm during the summer when I was fourteen, snapped off the funny bone. Never had much of a sense of humour since.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • At the risk of sounding heartless, how is the bike?
  • Dalton
    Sandyballs wrote:
    At the risk of sounding heartless, how is the bike?

Not had chance to check it over yet, had to leave it in back yard at work. Hopefully it will stay there until I can arrange to have it picked up. It is locked, but is a bit of a rough area!

On my brief inspection after accident, right hood/ brake lever is bent and scraped and front wheel may be damaged as was rubbing badly on brakes/ mudguard.

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Bummer about the off & broken hand. Hurrah for the taxi driver for being a diamond geezer. Hope you're back and riding soon.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you have a speedy recovery and manage with your 'wrong hand' in the meantime. I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Dalton
    Thanks for all the messages wishing me well.

Had a rubbish night, everytime I moved I lean't on my hand and the pain woke me up.

Today has been ok, was interesting ironing and putting on my jeans with just my left hand. Other than that I seem to be coping quite well.

• ironing your jeans...

a crease down the front?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]