Weekend Tinkering

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Spent various bits of saturday tinkering with Mrs T old Puchs (story behind as to why she has 2 - I bought an identical vintage puch to the one she rode at uni as her original was just about beyond getting safe and rodeworthy.

Basically I was taking any bits (tyres, saddle, basket mount) off the crappier one that were better than the equivalent bit on the replacement one, plus giving it a general clean, strib down, degrease and relube. Managed to get son & 1 daughter helping for odd bits of it.

Few observations:

- Isn't it relaxing just tinkering around with stuff?

- All of this stemmed from her moaning that the basket when full of books rubbed on the front wheel, and hence I expanded the task to fill the time available.

- Pleased to see that daughter pretty much managed to chage a tyre over single handedly once shown what to do.

- children left with spanners whilst you're back is turned will probably not be able to reassemble and correctly adjust a front brake. It will then take you longer to retrieve the situation than if they'd left well alone. :wink:

- my efforts were appreciated
whilst you may have wasted half of yesterday messing about with this to avoid tidying the house, it doesn';t half ride a lot better now.

- any suggestions for getting oily residue out from under my finger nails?
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    t4tomo wrote:
    Very! Usually. The other times it's the complete opposite.
    whilst you may have wasted half of yesterday messing about with this to avoid tidying the house, it doesn';t half ride a lot better now.
    :D
    t4tomo wrote:
    I usually resort to cutting my nails. If they're already cut a nail brush and soap. Repeat 8 or 9 times. Then wash off the blood. Most of the grease will be gone by now. Remind yourself to use some free gloves from the petrol station next time, then don't. Repeat.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • t4tomo wrote:

I wish I felt this way, I find the mechanical fiddling side of cycling an annoying necessity and would love to know someone who just loved tinkering with my bike and bringing it up to optimum performance....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    t4tomo wrote:
    Isn't it relaxing just tinkering around with stuff?

Yes, but only when it's non essential. I've rebuilt cars and motornikes, as well as bicycles and it's great to just tinker. But if something's broken and it needs fixing asap to keep me, or worse the EPO, mobile it sucks out any enjoyment.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I don't have any intention of doing anything more to my bike than adding a new Knog Frog front and back. That's enough tinkering for me.
  • t4tomo wrote:

Swarfega
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Swarfega

or just washing up liquid and sugar.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    And a really decent stiff nail brush - don't touch it up: scrub it!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Apparently we don't have a nail brush in the house, maybe need to try with Mrs T's toothbrush and washing up liquid. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cee wrote:
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Swarfega

or just washing up liquid and sugar.

Why sugar?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Works as an abrasive to get into all the little ridges and grooves without completely stripping the skin off.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    No! Cooking oil (no water), gently with the nailbrush and then washing up liquid and gently with the nailbrush.

No pain, no blood and clean nails.

Believe me. I've guitar playing fingernails and my theme.song is "we love to tinker" by T-Rex.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oh, and if you're going to make a habit of it invest in a can of barrier cream too. Work a bit into your hands first and it makes the clean up twenty times easier.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.