Overtaking on Trailcentre singletrack - Whats the etiquette?

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    deadkenny, I'm sure that breaking the highway code is not a prosecutable offence, but disregard of the highway code can be used to suggest that something was being driven without due care and attention. Something like that.
    Sadly.
    Mythbusters now is testing hollywood car weapons, like hub mounted cutters.
    I reckon it should be made a law that these things are allowed against caravans :twisted:
  • miss notax wrote:
    As someone who can remember what it's like to be a slow and steady beginner, can I just add not to get too close to the person that you're behind (unless you have said that you're passing them)? It used to really stress me out to hear someone close behind me when I didn't know what they were doing - I would panic about finding somewhere to stop (not always that easy in your average UK trail centre centre) and about 50% of the time it would end up with me having an off and wondering if I was about to get ridden over :?

I try to remember this as i'm now the person riding up behind people and I really do try to listen to my own advice and not freak people out! As someone said earlier, I think a cheery 'excuse me' goes a long way :D

Agree with everything except it's "excusez-moi" 'round these parts :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • It's a bit like driving with a caravan, you just accept you have to let people past now and again.
    I have never, ever seen a caravan pull over to allow traffic past. We're inundated with hundreds and hundreds of the damned things here all summer, and I have never seen one pull over.
    Agreed but thankfully we don't have too many on the roads up here.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would have thought Gateshead was a prime tourist destination.
    Cosmopolitan shopping
    gateshead-high-street-65039.jpg

Celebrities
    raoulmoat.jpg

Beaches
    090-0804113656-plastic-beach-03.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    OK I lied about the last one.

Sunderland rules.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • R+P+K
    R+P+K Posts: 49
    I usually just say "on your right" or "on your left" if they haven't seen me. If they pull over, they get a "thank you" and I'm on my way.
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    Its even worse when you get alongside the bloke at the front, and a thorn sticks in your tyre :? :lol:
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • If you get to close to the rider in front and you are both travelling at speed it can be hard to pull over as the front rider doesnt want to brake and get hit.

Hanging back and giving the front riders some space is a good idea - if he is part of a group though I'd expect him to let you by and regroup with his friends fairly frequently.

Last time I was at Afan the few riders I saw on the trail let me by if they needed to (usually by pausing at a switchback) but for the most part I gave them room and passed them on the interconnecting fireroads.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad wrote:
    please change my colostomy bag
  • correct etiquette is to buzz their backwheel, then force them off the trail, down a steep incline.
  • colt
    colt Posts: 173
    Shamelessly stolen from another forum! ride like the bloke at the beginning of this video? :lol:

http://vimeo.com/23089489
    Trek Fuel EX8 Rootbeer, mmm beer!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Christ almighty if you stopped that much it'd take you a year to do a 10 mile trail.