rosebikes.co.uk too good to be true?

santahul
santahul Posts: 91
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Anybody got any experience of rosebikes.co.uk? It's a German site but the .co.uk address leads to the english language page. I've been looking for a dynamo hub; SJS want £86.75 for the Shimano DH-3N72 and £102.12 for the DH-3N80 plus £3.50 postage.
rosebikes.co.uk want £41.90 for the DH-3N72 and £53.90 for the DH-3N80 plus £5.05 delivery.

If I go for the DH-3N80 I'll be getting it for practically half the price. Apparently this is a very well established company but it just seems too good to be true...

Comments

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    edited September 2011
    Have not heard of them myself but if it is a hoax it's a rather elaborate one. Those bikes look proper gnarly!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RoseBike ... 2467990097

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:432602

http://rosebikes-uk.blogspot.com/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not used them myself, but plenty on here have.

Only problem is with them being in Germany postage may not be as quick and might be more hassle if you need to return anything or have a warranty issue.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    It's genuine.

Rose are the German equivalent of PlanetX / Ribble / Wiggle

Most of their business is mail order but they have a massive 'Biketown' superstore too.
  • I can live with slower delivery and a little warranty hassle if it's saving me £50 :)
    I'll see if there's anything else I want whilst I'm at it.
  • They're are legit, have used them too. They are good value for money and have some stock that doesn't make it to the UK. Delivery times are a bit longer (but not as long as Ribbles :? )
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I ve used them to post to NL, they were quick enough (quicker than ordering from the UK anyway) and about level with CRC/Wiggle prices (jn Euros). One of my collegues uses them all the time!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • SantaHul wrote:
    Anybody got any experience of rosebikes.co.uk? It's a German site but the .co.uk address leads to the english language page. I've been looking for a dynamo hub; SJS want £86.75 for the Shimano DH-3N72 and £102.12 for the DH-3N80 plus £3.50 postage.
    rosebikes.co.uk want £41.90 for the DH-3N72 and £53.90 for the DH-3N80 plus £5.05 delivery.

If I go for the DH-3N80 I'll be getting it for practically half the price. Apparently this is a very well established company but it just seems too good to be true...

Rosebikes.co.uk is just the English language site of German rose.de. I have used them for years with zero problems. It is a well established family firm (more than 100 years old) with a long tradition for mail order/internet sales. They are not always the cheapest, but their service level is high, and they have a lot of useful bits and bobs that nobody else carries. The have always responded fast to my emails, and they have English speaking people at the phone too.

It is a very good place to source wheel building parts. I like that they also sell spokes in 20 piece bundles instead of just single spokes or a box of 100. And that the sell 12, 14 and 16 mm nipples.

They can also get any Shimano or Campagnolo spare part that are in stock in the EU, by mailing them their part number from the technical pdf's.

Notice that the only real difference between the "high end"/"Sport" Shimano dynamo hubs are the weight. (lighter hub shells and the 3N80 has an alu-axle instead of steel). Getting the 3N80 is actually quite a cheap way to reduce weight compared to groups, wheels and frames.

--
    Regards
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Legit, bought a load of cleaning tools from them a while ago.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Too good to be true - possibly if you need to return items etc or have a dispute

The risk of that is I would suggest a key issue to be weighed up against the price savings.

Another question is, how can they sell so cheap when priices in uk are so high
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Germany and bike lights.
    This may be the reason why.

In Germany it is illegal to use bicycles without a dynamo-based lighting system except on "racing bicycles" below 11 kg.

So the market is alot bigger over there.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    SimonLyons wrote:
    Germany and bike lights.
    This may be the reason why.

In Germany it is illegal to use bicycles without a dynamo-based lighting system except on "racing bicycles" below 11 kg.

So the market is alot bigger over there.

I was thinking more of "rip off Britain" rather than casting aspertions on the company.

how can products be so much cheaper there- when same products. Somebody is making a huge mark up
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Yep.

Try buying B&M lights in this country. Alot cheaper from German websites.
    I still think its a question of scale. The German retailers can offer better deals because they are able to sell more of the same item.
  • I'm not after it just yet but when I have the benjamins I think I'll just buy all my lighting gear in one fell swoop. The lights are much cheaper too, I'm looking at saving like 50% overall :D
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    My mates bought a bike of them said they were good to deal with. Arranged for a demo bike which he had for a whole weekend.

I think they have a UK office as he had a UK based point of contact.
  • Rose are great, used them twice now and both times delivery has been faster than CrC (who remember are technically also an overseas company) and prices especially on Shimano gear are very cheap
    I got XTR Trail SPD's for £75 using a new customer £10 off voucher code - search for it, it appeared in their advert / catalogue with MBUK a while ago, had to be entered manually at check out but they honoured it
    Email communication is very good also and the returns system seems good although Ive not had chance to use it fortunately
    Finally new customers get a free gift on first order, I got a Rose branded cereal bowl that is very nice (quite heavy) and second time I got some snappy reflective leg band thing

They are now my number 1 mail order company of choice over CRC or wiggle although I check prices first as £5 postage often means not the cheapest (although like I said Shimano gear they are very cheap)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jairaj wrote:
    My mates bought a bike of them said they were good to deal with. Arranged for a demo bike which he had for a whole weekend.

I think they have a UK office as he had a UK based point of contact.

I don;t know if they have a UK office, but I know Bike Labs act as a kind of UK agent and have a range of bikes at there Poole store. They'll also do a bike fit at the Richmond branch so you don't order the wrong size.
  • SantaHul wrote:
    I can live with slower delivery and a little warranty hassle if it's saving me £50 :)

Depends how you pay. When I pay with my debit card I get charge for international currency conversion.
  • gilesjuk wrote:
    SantaHul wrote:
    I can live with slower delivery and a little warranty hassle if it's saving me £50 :)

Depends how you pay. When I pay with my debit card I get charge for international currency conversion.
    How much? It would have to be like 90% for me to lose out.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    SantaHul wrote:
    I'm not after it just yet but when I have the benjamins I think I'll just buy all my lighting gear in one fell swoop. The lights are much cheaper too, I'm looking at saving like 50% overall :D

Unfortunately, I'd just ordered the dealextreme £30 front light & battery pack before I'd found rosebike's site and their keen lighting prices. Oh well, there's always next year...
    (Plan for dynamo hub & iPhone charger is forming.)
  • RJLJ
    RJLJ Posts: 27
    Using Rose Bikes for the first time to buy some GP 4000s 25mm (at £22 each cannot go wrong). Will let you know how process goes.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    CRC aren't technically overseas. They're in northern Ireland and are therefore subject to the UK postal system. And they deal in Sterlingnot Euros
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.