Datatag

ragamuffin2812
ragamuffin2812 Posts: 42
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Anybody used them or using them?

Are they worth the £25, or should I spend money on better things?

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Only useful if the bike is stolen and recovered by the police.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    and the police have heard of them (which the officer dealing with my theft had not).

put it towards a better lock/anchor
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    Not all of the county's support the service to recover info from datatags. As above, only works if police recover the bike. Most thieves will search for ID on the bike rendering any effort to ID the bike a waste if time. It's best to prevent the bike from being stolen in the first place using a decent lock and securing it correctly. Having said all that, wouldn't hurt to ID just in case... Just just don't use the supplied stickers "warning this bike has been security tagged"
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • Essex police hold local road shows re security. If you attend they bike tag them for you and register them for free.
    Obviously if not in Essex then that no good, however you own force may do the same things.
    £25 isn't bundles but I don't think it's worth it as if it recovered by the police, then hopefully they'll run a trace on the frame number and match it up to a crime reported by you.
  • I bought a couple of these when I got my carbon bike. Having read the fine print, I got in touch with Datatag to make sure they were ok with a carbon frame, and they didn't know, and told me that I used them at my own risk. Being cautious with putting epoxy on bare carbon, that put me right off.

They also asserted that I would get a discount with all major insurers. Turns out that they could only name 1 insurance company that recognised them at all, and that company charged so much for bike insurance that it negated the benefit of the datatag with knobs on.

Talking to my existing insurance company they were quite happy for me to not bother with the tag, making the valid point that it only protected the frame until someone damaged the chip, and that it didn't make a blind bit of difference to the components, which they reckoned were a growing reason for theft.

I never bothered to fit them. They're sat around somewhere, I got them in a closing down sale, so not returnable. If you really want one, I'm open to offers.

Rob