What tyres?

velocestrapture
velocestrapture Posts: 168
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
I only started cycling this year so am still a novice when it comes to kit, and would appreciate thoughts and opinions as to what I should do about tyres.

I ride a Specialized Tri-Cross Sport. I commute a couple of times a week, which includes a section along a well-maintained gravel path, and a section along a rather ad-hoc path on Wimbledon Common (although I could add half a mile to my route to miss this out). At the weekend I am now going out for 30 + mile rides, including frequent organised rides. I did my first timed ride today and want to do some more.

I have just been using the 32mm cyclocross tyres that came with the bike, but borrowed some 28 mm slicks for the ride today. I did feel that it made the bike more nippy, and definitely would use 28 mm or 25 mm for the next timed event I do.

The question is what to use when I am commuting. I am undecided whether to switch to slicks now, or keep the cyclocross tyres on for the winter and think about switching in the spring.

What would you do? Is it worth sacrificing a bit of stability and grip for probably not very much extra speed?

Comments

• You seem to be asking if one should chose between a commute tyre and a race tyre?

could you not get a race tyre for racing and fit them when you want to race?

To be honest in terms of grip be that on the road or off road you are likely to find most better than the Borough tyres.

hard compound rubber with a few snipes are likely to be low on grip.
  • I suppose that is the question. Do most people use a thicker tyre with more grip for commuting, or are you all commuting on 28/25 mm slicks?
  • I suppose that is the question. Do most people use a thicker tyre with more grip for commuting, or are you all commuting on 28/25 mm slicks?

a tyre that grips to the gravel track such as this

57803.jpg

will not be as sure footed on the road as this 18796.jpg

but neither will be as puncture proof as a commuter type tyre such as this 24544.jpg

and the commute tyre will be hard wearing rather than grippy as such. if you want lots of folks to ask try chat as general is a little quiet.
  • Thanks for the pics! 8)

I get the principle of different tyre types but might ask over in chat for opinions as to whether I should go for my need for speed, or be sensible and not risk skidding and breaking my neck.
  • I have Tricross (well 2 actually) and had 23mm tyres on. 20 mile each way commute; last 3 or 4 sometimes ridden offroad.
    I've reverted to the 32 mm Borough tyres as a general compromise. True I work harder on the road sections, particularly when out with the local chaingang, but I figure it's decent training and a lot more flexible in the offroad sections
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire