What's that clattering sound????

Mike67
Mike67 Posts: 585
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
I'm after some advice from you clued up bods here on Bikeradar.

Was entering a local street level car park today when CRUNCH...I'd hit the height barrier with both MiniMike1 and MiniMike2s bikes on roof mounted racks.

Some two seconds later that horrible dawning feeling of realisation hit and both bikes, bike racks, roof bars and parts of car rails were unceremoniously dumped on the car park floor.....sick as a parrot wasn't in it :( .

Luckily the damage to the bikes was minimal so kids weren't too upset.
Damage to car and X hundred pounds of racks was quite substantial.

Obviously I feel like a right dork but looking at the approach to the car park, there are some questions I hope you can help with.

The barrier is completely painted black and has a background of trees ...it's also partially obscured on the approach by some temporary fencing, so not that easy to spot unless you look directly at it.

There is also no signage whatsoever warning of a height restriction on the approach or on the barrier itself.

Question is, if anyone can point me in the right direction please:

Is there any legal requirement to make barriers obvious and also to warn of the height restriction. The car park is a local council one but I wan't to get clued up before complaining and/or warning them so they can at least make it more obvious for future victims.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
Lots of bits

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I'd imagine that, yes, there should be a requirement to highlight the height barrier.
    Get some photos first (of the barier), then approach the owners.
    Calling any law firm woul quickly assertain the correct procedure.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    As above, get some pics before the council realise whats happend and send a man round with some yellow paint.
    Graham.
  • I would have thought they must make them visible, using signage and marking the overhead hazard (normally done with yellow and black paint)

Get some pictures, oh, and contact the HSE, as I think it probably is covered in their regulations after reading some of this:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wpt10.pdf
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Thanks guys and that HSE guidance seems especially pertinent....duty of care to visitors etc. thanks Nairnster.
    Hope the Council aren't immune to HSE guidance in some strange obsolete regulation somewhere.

I've e-mailed them with pics today...not ranting or anything, just wanting some positive action to avoid some other poor harrassed parent (or anyone really) being caught out.

Google streetview was especially useful as the barrier was originally painted red and white!

I'll keep you posted...no pun intended :D

cheers
    Mike
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • no problem, keep us up to date with your progress.