Hope Tech X2 Pad/Piston Retraction Issues

leaflite
leaflite Posts: 1,651
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I noticed, when on a ride on friday, that the front wheel was making a squeaking noise as it rotated. On closer inspection, it appears that the pads (on both sides) are rubbing on the rotors. They have never done this before, the rear brake is fine. The pads are nearly worn out. Ive taken the pads out and the pistons sit about 2-3mm proud of the inside of the caliper on each side. According to the bikeradar hope bleeding instructions, these should be flush with the inside of the caliper. The pistons on the rear brake do just that. Ive tried pushing the pistons back in with a tyre lever, but no matter how much force I put on, they wont go back in. Ive tried doing this with the resovior cap removed too, but it makes no difference. How do I get them to go back in?

Any help/ advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Even more force! Put the old pads back in and wedge a long screwdriver in there. They will be written off, so have new pads ready!
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    +1. I had similar issues with my Hope calipers. More force was required than I thought would be required.
  • You may not be pushing the pistons straight and they are going wonky. Make sure you push in the centre of the piston and as straight as you can into the caliper. Also, make sure the pistons are clean and lube them with a drop of brake fluid.

Anyway, if they are not retracting properly, it may be time for new seals and pistons.