Dangerous Dangerous Dangerous !!!

bearfraser
bearfraser Posts: 435
edited September 2011 in Amateur race
Who thought it would be a good idea to run a time trial on an open section of the A90 (North East Scotland) on the 10/09/2011 AM. The weather was drizzly and misty and the road traffic travels at least 70MPH the riders were occaisionaly hogging the inside lane in the middle of the lane and the marshalls all seemed to hiding in various laybys and the only nottice of the race appart from the riders was on on of those large gantry signs about 5-10 miles from the start. I'm very supprised ( ihope) there were NO accidents. Not sure which club was running it.

Comments

• sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    that`s a mater of opinion
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Time trials often take place on dual carriageways to avoid junctions and other hazards that would slow the riders down. Also it is pretty pointless having marshals along the main straight of a dual carriageway. Slips roads and roundabouts yes.

Providing the event starts early enough, before the build up of traffic. I can't see the problem?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Here we go again...... :roll:
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    danowat wrote:

What do you expect? Its BR - its like groundhog fortnight.

For the record; Lance doped, helmets are a triumph of marketing over actual need, weights will not make you a faster cyclist and finally a sportive is not a race.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Hmmmm.....not seen a good helmet post in ages......

that sounded wrong........
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    danowat wrote:
    Hmmmm.....not seen a good helmet post in ages......

that sounded wrong........

I'd say a good helmet posted above lol
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Just to add, all time trial courses are subject to traffic counts and races can only be held at times when the traffic levels are low enough. The date would have been arranged months ago when no-one knew what the weather was going to do, marshalls are only allowed to direct the riders and dual carriageways are generally pretty safe as they allow motorists plenty of space to pass.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    No comment on the safety or the weather - but the event is likely to have been the 'Neish / Low 25, run by Aberdeen Wheelers.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    P_Tucker wrote:
    danowat wrote:

For the record; Lance doped, helmets are a triumph of marketing over actual need, weights will not make you a faster cyclist and finally a sportive is not a race.

You overlooked tubs/clinchers and Shimano/ Campag...

I am sure that there will have been a risk assessment made before the event was organized and this would have taken into account the weather an vehicle count etc...
    I am also fairly confident that no one will have been forcd to race in that weather...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    danowat wrote:

I agree with 50% of your comments.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • It would have been the Neish / Low 25, it had good people running it, who would have risk assesed the course prior to allowing the race to go on,as the riders safety is the most important thing. I cant comment on the conditions as I wasnt there, but conditions must have been ok before the start otherwise the race would have cancelled, as it was earlier on in the year due to heavy rain.
    As you know the weather can change pretty rapidly up here, especially with regard to forg and mist
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Somebody expand my knowledge of scottish tt ing, please.
    I know you come under BC regs as apposed to CTT.
    Do you have traffic counts up there? If so , how many units per hour are permissable?

The OP might be surprised to learn that the CTT regs on traffic volumn are actually there to secure fairness of competition and not safety.
    There is an arguement that says , busy roads in the middle of the day are safer than quiet roads at the crack of dawn. Leave you to make up your own minds on that.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly