Women only?

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
Glancing through the rides I was surprised to see a few labelled as "women only". Why? I'm not trying to start a frenzied debate, but I can't think of an obvious reason why a cycling event should be limited thus.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• It's a sport dominated by men... sometimes it's just nice to have women to ride with and the easiest way to make sure the women aren't outnumbered by the men for once is to make it women only. :)
  • it is also a great way to encourage women to get involved and feel confident about cycling in what is a sport dominated by men .. if you have not ridden a bike since childhood it is a big leap to just enter a sportive ...think of it as stepping stone ..
  • Doesn't bother me personally.

but

I can't help wondering what the general view would be of events labelled 'men only'?

Would they even be legal?
  • Peddle Up!
    it is also a great way to encourage women to get involved and feel confident about cycling in what is a sport dominated by men ...

Is a group of blokes on bikes really that scary? :D I think you'll find that most men like women, and are welcoming and helpful. In every event that I've ridden, people will ask if you're OK if you've stopped, share food if you've not brought enough and offer to get help if you're stuck. And those people are men and women.
  • many of these rides are significantly shorter, flatter distances than your typical sportive and support commuter-type bikes (likely outnumbering the road bikes) and people who have never heard of pace lining or drafting. very different atmosphere and purpose (no timing chips, etc) to encourage newer cyclists. as a female, i actually have no interest in them -- but I don't think they are targeted at someone who has been cycling for awhile.

you also have to keep in mind that on a typical sportive, a slower female will likely be cycling alone for most of the route -- these are really more organised group rides. i am typically by myself for 90% of the routes I have done (which puzzles me, esp when two of them supposedly had 500+ participants and I just missed gold standard so it wasn't like I was puttering along at the back).
  • Peddle Up!
    Point taken bikergirl17, but there are plenty of rides (e.g. charity-based ones) that aren't out and out races. I've done loads that cater for riders of all abilities on bikes that range from £10k carbon wonderbikes, to rusty wrecks with spider webs between the spokes (really!).

They usually get the faster riders out first, with everyone else following. Of course riders will differ vastly in their ability and stamina but I don't see this automatically dividing along gender lines.

Just trying to understand.

And I said I didn't want a "frenzied debate"! :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Basically all men are bastards, this way the ride is kept bastard free. ;)
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    edited September 2011
    £45 £££££££ :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sorry folks didn't realize the Cycletta closed roads have now been banned, which is interesting as the Etape Cymru is advertising for +3000 on closed roads. It must be because it's in Wales not England. The organizers of Cycletta are refunding £5 for the 25 mile ride bringing the fee down to just £40. That's £1.60 per mile, unlike the cost of running a medium sized family car at approximately 30p per mile.
    If any Ladies are up for a low traffic bike ride in the lanes of Shropshire with my wife and female friend then I'm sure we could arrange something a lot better value for money.
    We could even stretch to supplying the use of a hair brush at the finish. :oops:
    :wink:
  • It's fairly standard practice in most sports to offer women only and open events.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Without rushing into a battle of the sexes, the problem I suspect is that most blokes are, well, blokes. That means that the sticking of a timing chip on the average nice club cyclist (who is happy to go around a mixed club ride and be sociable) suddenly makes him become a d1ck and think he is in a race. Whilst blokes think the associated display of machismo is attractive to women, actually it isn't (it is only an antagonism/challenge to other men). Hence, women are attracted to events where they can cycle around without feeling intimidated on a performance level or face the sight of blokes preening their feathers by needlessly stomping up hills relating tales of last week's killer sportive being much tougher.

The only thing I wonder, if there are women only events, who fixes the punctures?? :wink:
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Without rushing into a battle of the sexes, the problem I suspect is that most blokes are, well, blokes. That means that the sticking of a timing chip on the average nice club cyclist (who is happy to go around a mixed club ride and be sociable) suddenly makes him become a d1ck and think he is in a race. Whilst blokes think the associated display of machismo is attractive to women, actually it isn't (it is only an antagonism/challenge to other men). Hence, women are attracted to events where they can cycle around without feeling intimidated on a performance level or face the sight of blokes preening their feathers by needlessly stomping up hills relating tales of last week's killer sportive being much tougher.

The only thing I wonder, if there are women only events, who fixes the punctures :wink:

So much stereo typing in so few words, marvelous and someone with such a vivid insight into both genders.... cool. 8)
  • some of this may come out of the national lottery given ££ to british cycling for a women's network. it is called 'breezes', which in itself is patronising (sounds like, ahem, a women's 'personal product' to me). i do applaud the idea, less so the execution ... been trying to sign up as a ride leader, as am happy to encourage women to cycle on simple rides -- but no luck with that.

http://www.goskyride.com/breeze

again, these are *not* the same as your typical sportive or even your BHF charity ride.

look, i too have an issue with these 'women only' type rides ... but they are not substitutes for the dragon ride, etc. but a totally different category.
  • ok, so was curious and looked up this cycletta thing ... yes, sponsored by british cycling and looks like part of the whole breezes thing ...

AND sponsored by Grazia magazine, which provides 'tips' on how to look fashionable while cycling (!), including offering a 'helmet hair remedy' booth at the end of the ride. i can NOT believe this was set up by women.

What do I get for my entry fee? Benefits include:

Lovely picturesque 40km route
    Race time for all finishers (texted to phone and online)
    World class event delivery; safety, signage, mechanical and medical support
    Training advice and support from Victoria Pendleton, Olympic Gold Medallist
    Ride Rescue support crew around the course
    Cycling Club competitions
    Drinks and feed stations on route provided by Gatorade
    Buzzing start and finish locations for family and friends
    Cycletta finishers memento
    Free access to the venue all day for participants
    Free Grazia magazine
    Great offers from Cycling Weekly, Cycling Active, Fitness First and sheactive
    Monthly nutritional and cycling fashion support
    Commemorative event photos*
    Helmet Hair Remedy Centre
    Massage post event facilities
    Easy parking*
    Children play facilities *
    Changing marquees
    Cycletta High Street with food, drinks, retailers and entertainment*
    Newspaper and toast for supporters at the Competitor Village*
    *these facilities may come at an additional charge
  • I have to say that I do think women only rides have a place in encouraging more people to take up/ improve their cycling.

I only took up cycling this year, and have done a couple of organised charity rides over the summer. I have been thinking about stepping up to do some Sportives, but have found it hard to gauge whether I am yet 'good enough'. I think that because cycling is so male dominated, it is not easy as a woman to compare yourself to other cyclists, because you have no idea if a man is faster than you simply because he is male, or whether it is because your fitness/strength is not yet good enough.

I felt encouraged to do the Whipsnade Cycletta this weekend specifically because it was aimed at women of all abilities. Being able to compare myself against the other women there has given me confidence that I am probably able to tackle a mixed gender Sportive and not be the last over the line. Other women that I spoke to also said that it was the first ride they had done and they were encouraged to do more in the future.
  • *Disclaimer* I did have a free yoga stretch session and massage at the end of the ride, but the "helmet hair booth" and nail bar were definitely not my incentives for taking part!
  • Peddle Up!
    A nail bar? Now I'm jealous. :lol: