hi hope someone can help me

rockdj
rockdj Posts: 7
edited September 2011 in MTB general
hi all i am looking to buy a bike for about £200 to £300 ok now for the best bit lol
i am over weight i am 23 stone 10 pounds at the moment i have lost 4 stone up to now
i am 5.7 with about 30in leg aswell i want to get fit still loosing weight any help would be great these is a few bike i have seen but not to sure if they will hold my weight at the moment

1.DIAMONDBACK OUTLOOK DD BIKE
2.DIAMONDBACK PEAK DD BIKE
3.GT AVALANCHE 3.0 BIKE
4.PROMAX ROCK X COUNTRY BIKE
5.RALEIGH AT30 XC MOUNTAIN BIKE
6.BARRACUDA SAWTOOTH DISC MENS 21 SPD MOUNTAIN BIKE
7.BARRACUDA BIG EYE DUAL DISC MENS 24 SPD MOUNTAIN BIKE

THANKS HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Can't advise on the bike (other than be sure you get what ever fits you the best) but well done on the weight loss! A friend has done something similar and I know how hard it is.

You might find this inspirational, http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/ - Gaz is often to be found on these forums.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    What type of riding are you looking to do?

If you are going to use it for road/towpath riding, any of those will probably be strong enough. You might need some heavy duty inner tubes etc but these arent too expensive.
  • yes thanks it would be this type of ridding road/towpath riding cheers i am trying to find out lots of info if i can and thanks for the feedback :)
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    leaflite wrote:
    What type of riding are you looking to do?

If you are going to use it for road/towpath riding, any of those will probably be strong enough. You might need some heavy duty inner tubes etc but these arent too expensive.

Really ? At 30+ Stone I only every used chap-o ones without an issue.

OP, god luck, the GT Bikes are tough as nails but am sure they will all be ok !
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Omg you have don amazing well more then that but no words I can think of :)
    And that's it's tome to start great adventure's now
  • Well done. Great start and keep on it. The only other bike I would suggest would be to take a look at the Saracen Tufftrax Comp Disc which I have seen reduced to £270, but you may find better. I have not ridden one, but all the reviews I have seen rave about it as being an excellent bike for the money, strong and good fun to ride.
  • I have always thought the entry level Specialized or Kona bikes offer great value for money and you get a frame which is a good basis for future upgrades.

They might be slightly over budget but I reckon you'll be really pleased in the long run. My first proper mountain bike was a Kona for £350 and I gave it some serious abuse for many years without fault.

Keep up the good work and happy riding!
    www.trailguru.co.uk - The ultimate guide to mountain biking in Wales
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Entry level specialized are awful - really cheap parts on some of them.

Mongoose and GT generally make the toughest bikes at this price, some quality parts, decent forks and tougher wheels. Especially if can get an older 2.0 or Tyax Elite/super.