New pedals every 4 weeks ? WTF is going on here ..

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Getting really irritated now with my pedal situation.

I'm getting 4-6 weeks out of a pedal before i seem to be flat-spotting a bearing. Had a clicky noise at the top of pedal-stroke on the left side for about 1hour 30 mins, it then mysteriously went away and was good for the next 6 hours of the ride. This isn't the first time with this pedal i've had this. They're a set of Wellgo B54's sealed bearings and are just over 4 weeks old.
I've also had this with other pedals, a pair of Wellgo V8's lasted 2 weeks. The DMR V12 Mags lasted about a year (i can accept that of course)

So, it always seems to be on the LHS pedal and goes away when i swap the pedal out for a new one. I have also had a BB issue with the old GXP bottom bracket, but i'm pretty convinced this is once again a pedal issue.

When i look at the inside of the faulty V12 mag, i can see that the bearing is oval'd in a vertical plane (hence the issue).

Any thoughts as to what on earth is going on ? I can't afford new pedals every few weeks it's getting on my nerves now lol.

Comments

• have you every greased or lubed up the bearings? somtimes, and im sure ive read acouple counts on here, that some flat pedals (remeber a thread on V12s) dont have enough grease over both pedals. so mabye since you already know how to pull your old welgo v12s apart buy yourself a new set of bearings and some grease and give that ago, worth a punt at the saving it is compared to a new set isnt it! if it works great, just carry on regreasing often if not then hey mabye worth trying a diffrent brand of pedals.
  • weeksy59
    WEll the DMR v12's and the Wellgo B54's are both sealed bearings, so no greasing needed (or possible i'd guess?)

The V8's were bought as a cheap test pair of pedags so i'm not too worried either way.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you sure the noise is the pedal this time? A click doesnt mean a destroyed pedal. The bearings are replacable anyway.
  • weeksy59
    supersonic wrote:
    Are you sure the noise is the pedal this time? A click doesnt mean a destroyed pedal. The bearings are replacable anyway.

99% mate. Have taken my known good V12 mag right hand pedal, fited it only the left hand spindle and will give it a whirl. The weird thing is that the B54 when rotating it by hand feels silky smooth (but then again, when i finished the ride it was silent).

When pedalling i was tring to put as little pressure on the left pedal as possible, i didn't get a noise, even a little pressure gave the noise, same place in stroke each time.

As with all MTB noises, sometimes they're red herrings of course, but now it's stopped making the noise again it's difficult to pin down 100% until i once again get the noise.

We were out on a 70 mile chippenham to Reading on the ridgeway yesterday, so stopping and swapping over for full investigation etc wasn't really going to happen, it was tough enough doing a 7.5 hour ride as it was :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If is smooth and not making a noise, I wouldn't worry too much. May have just been bedding in. Pretty sure uses the same bearing as a V12 anyway.