Any CUBE owners regularly go over the bars?

jacksonrj
jacksonrj Posts: 31
edited September 2011 in MTB general
As the subject says. Ive had my CUBE AMS 100 for around a year now and seems like every other ride i go over the bars, even over the smallest of rocks/roots. I own a GT avalanche expert HT and an Orange 5 AM (although pretty new) and I never have the same issue on these bikes. Not sure if it is me or the bike, but wondered if anyone else experiences this with CUBEs? BTW I've swapped out the schwalbes for kendas as they are awful in the wet
Orange Five AM
Cube AMS 100
GT Avalanche Expert

Comments

• Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    let me see your set up
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Nope.

I'd have a look at the way you set up your controls on the bars and your riding position and foot position on the bike

Schwalbe's work for me in wet conditions, what pressure were you running the tyres at?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Jedi wrote:
    let me see your set up
    I know exactly what you mean, you just posted it quicker than I did ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • The problem with the Schwalbes in the wet is on stones/pebbles/rocks/roots etc anything technical really. Im 5'7 and ride a small/16 does the size seem about right for me? Im happy with the position of the brakes/shifters/bars and have tried the seat and post in all positions. May be it is I am leaning to far forward? Im ok down the steep technical drops/steps etc with my arse on the back tyre. Its the innocuous stones/rocks/roots during what should be normal riding where it happens
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Once you expect to go over the bars, it's easy to go over things too slow, or brake at an obstacle so the bike stops and you don't.
    That also puts the weight over the front, and you want to unweight a bit over things.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Just a thought, but what pressure are you running in your forks? Maybe they are diving under slight braking and pitching your weight forward?

I ran a cube AMS 100 for a while and never had any trouble.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Hmmmmmm. My mate just bought a Zesty as he was going over the bars regularly. It was killing his confidence. He's a lot lot happier on the Zesty than he was on the AMS100.
  • Just a thought, but what pressure are you running in your forks? Maybe they are diving under slight braking and pitching your weight forward?

I've pumped them up a bit as I guess they were a bit soft. Will see how it goes now, cheers.
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert
  • Jedi wrote:
    let me see your set up

Do what the man tells you - his changes to my setup radically changed my ride (and as a result my confidence too).

Still buzzing from my coaching session Jedi - haven't descended so fast in my life!

Loving the jumps & drops too btw... :D:D:D
    Commuter MTB FCN 12
    XC MTB FCN 9
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    stimpy_76 wrote:
    Jedi wrote:
    let me see your set up

Do what the man tells you - his changes to my setup radically changed my ride (and as a result my confidence too).

Still buzzing from my coaching session Jedi - haven't descended so fast in my life!

Loving the jumps & drops too btw... :D:D:D

high5! :)
  • I've never had a problem with my Cube AMS125, I've only gone over the handlebars once but it was down to excess speed & my front wheel sinking in mud and stopping way too quickily whilst sinking too
  • I have an AMS 130 and went over the bars once as I hit a rock and was catapulted forward while the (too lower pressure) forks compressed, but I was new to the bike and was still setting it up (oh and I did have the seat too far forward too, moving my weight forward). Now I'm running a 20mm shorter stem from std (was 35mm shorter stem on the day I went over the bars) and changed the bars to hi-rise monkey bars raising the height of the grips to the same as the height I run my saddle. Don't feel remotely in danger of going over the bars again.
    I have also tried a stem with 17 degree rise instead of the std 6 degree and found it easier to pop the front end up onto things, but the higher front end is not so good for climbing.
    Just buy an adjustable stem (ritchey make one) or a couple of cheap different sized 2nd hand ones off the bay and try different positions out as most bikes don't fit exactly out of the box as we are all different sizes & shapes.
  • Excellent info, cheers Mark
    Orange Five AM
    Cube AMS 100
    GT Avalanche Expert