Cheese

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Is there any greater foodstuff?

OK, maybe bread.

But it goes well with cheese....and wine.....red wine.

Cheese, bread and wine. I really am a peasant at heart.

Let's hear it for cheese.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Ice cream.

Cheese won't cure a hangover. Ice cream will.

Case closed.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Cheese? Somehow the thought of rotten milk has always made me feel queasy.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ice cream.

Case closed.

Pffft. Try getting home from the pub and making some ice cream on toast.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    There are very few dishes that cannot be improved with the addition of cheese. Potatoes, toast, bacon sarnies. Most savoury dishes, put cheese on and melt it, you have just improved it.
  • Is there any greater foodstuff?

OK, maybe bread.

But it goes well with cheese....and wine.....red wine.

Cheese, bread and wine. I really am a peasant at heart.

Let's hear it for cheese.

Yeah baby! Neil's Yard Dairy anyone?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    And the best cheese is (opens can of worms......) ?

Orkney cheddar (wonderful on toast) as a starter maybe.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    All of you, wash your mouths out. It is a known scientific fact: Bacons are the best foodstuff!
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    and plenty of sweeter foodstuffs can be improved with the addition of cheese. Nutella and mature cheddar is a fantastic combination.

Granted, some people think that I am a weird at times.
  • Recently, on holiday to France I found a cheese counter that sprawled for what seemed like miles. Wonderful cheese as far as the eye could see. Especially liked the goat's cheeses there, well matured and delicious.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I really want a pet goat. Just for the cheese-making potential.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    hstiles wrote:

No you don't. Do you think.it is.coincidence that Satan is often depicted as half goat?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    hstiles wrote:

No you don't. Do you think.it is.coincidence that Satan is often depicted as half goat?

Mmm! Satan's cheese...
  • Wensleydale and fruit loaf - end of
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    If you ask the rest of the world: Gouda, it's availible in every FFFFing country where I go. Nutters.... :roll:

Fresh peccorino with prosciuto on fresh bread, with a Nastro Azuro of course. Or red leicester, or cheddar, or or or or or... Mmmmmmmhhhhh, cheese. :D
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • Cheese saves lives. Thousands of vegetarians would have given up long ago if not for cheese. Cheese should be knighted. Bravo cheese.
  • merkin wrote:
    There are very few dishes that cannot be improved with the addition of cheese. Potatoes, toast, bacon sarnies. Most savoury dishes, put cheese on and melt it, you have just improved it.

I chucked a load of cheese on top of the spag bol my wife made me and it improved it considerably, might have made it 10 times fattier tho!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • Poacher
    Poacher Posts: 165
    Ceps, morelles, trompettes de mort. Breakfast of champignons.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ice cream.

Case closed.

Greg.

Cheese certainly helped cure my hangover this morning - and bread and sausages.

Cheese is a supreme food stuff in all its guises - Amazing

Chapeau Cheese.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    A good cheddar is hard to beat, but I've also got a soft spot for St Felicien.

Mmmm.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Dolcelatte on melba toast xxxxxxx

still hard to beat grilled cheddar on toast with jewish style chicken noodle soup.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    How's this for a wedding cake:

459_0.jpg

It's called the King Arthur by Paxton & Whitfield.

Cerney Goats' Milk Cheese, Unpasteurised, Vegetarian Rennet min wt 250g. A pyramid shaped fresh goats' cheese made in the Cotswolds that is coated in a mix of sea salt and ash. The cheese is inspired by the traditonal Valencay method of making goats' cheese and indeed the cheesemaker learnt her trade there from a farmer's wife. The cheese is eaten young and has a mild lemony flavour with a hint of goat that gets stronger as the cheese ages.

Stinking Bishop Cows' Milk Cheese, Unpasteurised, Vegetarian Rennet min wt 500g. Made by Charles Martell in Gloucestershire, this cheese has quite a reputation for being one of the runniest and most aromatic cheeses produced in England. These qualities can be put down to the cheese being washed regularly in Perry (alcohol traditionally made with the Stinking Bishop variety of pear). This encourages the growth of the linen mould which leads to the associated pungency. Fantastically strong, fruity and buttery to taste.

Devon Blue Cows' Milk Cheese, Pasteurised, Vegetarian Rennet min wt 1.5kg. The milk of cows grazing the pastures in the South Hams area of Devon is used to make this attractive cheese. Robin Congdon from Ticklemore Cheese developed the recipe after finding demand outstripping availability of his shee and goats' milk cheeses; Beenleigh Blue and Harbourne Blue respectively. It has a smooth creamy texture and a rounded butter flavour that has piquant, grassy and steel like qualities.

Fosse Way Fleece Sheeps' Milk Cheese, Pasteurised, Vegetarian Rennet min wt 3.5kg. Made by Phillip Rainbow of the Somerset Cheese Company, this cheese takes its name from the old Roman "Fosse Way road" that runs close to the village of Ditcheat where the dairy is situated. The texture of Fosse Way Fleece is wonderfully smooth and silky and the flavour develops from being fresh and clean into a more rich, nutty and strong experience as it ages.

Sparkenhoe Cows' Milk Cheese, Unpastuerised, Traditional Rennet min wt 10kg. "Sparkenhoe" is a traditional Red Leicester cheese, and the first in generations to be made in Leicestershire. It is made by David and Jo Clarke in a totally authentic way using the farm's unpasteurised milk. The milk from the previous days milking is pumped across from the parlour to the cheese room at 4.00am. An old recipe discovered by Jo and David is then followed and traditional animal rennet and annatto is then added to give the cheese its rich orange colour. The cheeses are a traditional shape being made in large wheels of 10kgs.

I'm nursing a semi just thinking about it.
    Rules are for fools.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    My wife has to create a diversion to get me past the Cheese rooms in Waitrose, usually something along the lines of "shall we have roast pork tonight?". My attention is caught with the thought of crackling and roasties I'm swiftly dragged past the door.

http://www.vivatbacchus.co.uk/ Has cheese rooms, and they do nice drop of red wine too

I like a good cheese room :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    That wedding cake looks awesome, but I think I'd prefer mine to be of a mature cheddar, a stilton, a Lancashire (because I am a Lancashire lass), a Somerset brie, and possibly a small Melton mowbray pork pie on the top.

I prefer the blue/runny/smelly stuff, but I suppose I'd have to cater for all. Definitely better than a cake though. All I need now is a husband! :(
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    The best cheeses are blue. Stilton is the best of course, you want it ripe enough it trys to club you with a milk bottle when you open the fridge.

mmmm stilton on toast
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Tesco Finest Vintage Farmhouse Cheddar.

Avoid it!

I Usually get my cheese from Sainsburys, this Tesco rubbish just tastes strong but not in a nice way.
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    Greg66 wrote:
    Ice cream.

Case closed.

Cheese Ice Cream?
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • Top tip for cheese and a bottle of red in London: the downstairs bar in Cafe des Amis in Covent Garden. There are nicer bars, but the cheese plate with French bread rocks.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Wensleydale and fruit loaf - end of

that sparks off a couple of thoughts:

- If you like wensleydale (smashing cheese gromit) try Cotherstone, you'll love it. Neals yard in Cov G used to stock it plus I think the far sells it mail order. (Same applies if you like other inferior wannbe wensleydales like Lancashire and Cheshire cheese :D )

- I was born and raised in yorkshire (hence the above comment) and we used have cheese with christmas cake, cheese with ginger bread and cheese with apple pie.
    My southern wife found this odd, although is now a convert.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    t4tomo wrote:
    Wensleydale and fruit loaf - end of

that sparks off a couple of thoughts:

- If you like wensleydale (smashing cheese gromit) try Cotherstone, you'll love it. Neals yard in Cov G used to stock it plus I think the far sells it mail order. (Same applies if you like other inferior wannbe wensleydales like Lancashire and Cheshire cheese :D )

- I was born and raised in yorkshire (hence the above comment) and we used have cheese with christmas cake, cheese with ginger bread and cheese with apple pie.
    My southern wife found this odd, although is now a convert.

not tried with ginger bread, but the fruit/cheese combo is a winner with me.

xmas day breakfast consist of plum loaf with cheddar/cheshire cheese. Win!