Mary Townely loop, any one done it?

futuresbright
futuresbright Posts: 56
edited September 2011 in Routes
Booked on for next sunday, maybe not one of my better ideas :?:

Any one done it? Is it just the length that makes it hard work or are the climbs a nightmare.

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Theres nothing majorly technical its mostly on bridleways. The climbs can be hard work just because they seem to go on forever. If you do it on a hardtail it can be a b*gger because of the cobbles. Nice scenery but it gets blooming exposed on the tops take a spare layer and extra socks or a dogwalker will find your blue corpse on monday.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thanks for advice,

Think i will take the full susser, managed 45 xc miles yesterday on the hardtail but the last 10 were pretty painful!
  • If you're doing the MTL next Sunday, I hope you've paid your entry fee.

Andy
  • If you're doing the MTL next Sunday, I hope you've paid your entry fee.

Andy

All paid up, confirmation recieved :D

Can you order a bit of decent weather now please. 8)
  • Now that I can't arrange :-P

Big advantages of doing the RMPMT event are marshalled gates (they are a total PITA especially on the NW section) and transport back to the start if it all goes pear-shaped. Good Luck - would have liked to be out there next Sun too. Which way round are they going?

Andy

Edited to remove the inexplicable quadruple post
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's a pretty big day out in the saddle, I've done the RPMRT challenge 3 times. The weather can have a big effect, low turnout last year and a high drop out rate. Ground conditions also play a part as it can get boggy on parts of the northern section. My advice, don't race it and enjoy the camaraderie you'll get after you've done the first half, by that point the leaders will have nearly finished and everyone else will just be concentrating finishing, thoughts of racing will have been long forgotten.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Thanks for replies, looks like a big day out then!

Not into the racing part whatsoever just a personal challenge to finish really.

Managed 45miles yesterday with about 3500ft of climbing but have been told the loop has somewhere near 6000 ft of altitude so its going to be tough.

Will post back next week if still breathing !
  • Its right on my backdoor step and I still haven't done it.

*must try harder*
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    6700ft of climbing if I remeber correctly.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result