I had a near 'out of body' experience, out today.

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
I can't think of the exact phrase I'm looking for, so please chip in with that.

We'd been out for only 40 miles but had been tanking it, this was now catching up with my legs, a few miles from home.
My buddy mentioned changing the route to give us protection from the imminent head wind, I said NO lets just do it.

We turned into the wind, on a flat and pothole free bypass, but the road, wind direction etc was such that we were protected by a hedge, at the moment no cars were on the mile long straight stretch.

Suddenly my legs were ache free, my bike was running smooth as was the road.
With no effort my speed was going up, and breathing was easy, I was floating along.

Cycling heaven.

(well it would have been if I was actually catching my buddy :lol:)

Comments

• It's amazing what a bit of wind protection does. Had a moment like that earlier, had been going into a headwind for about an hour, struggling to keep at a 30kmh pace, then suddenly we rounded a corner and no more headwind, we were all riding at 37-38 on the flat, in the drops, all of us chain gain style, and it was such a truely amazing feeling.

Love those moments, the moments when everything goes right, they make even the worst moments seem like nothing.
  • I've had a "out my head" experience, usually after alcohol. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When everything lines up, you are warmed up, hydrated, bike feels good and all the laws of physics seeem to e inverted and you go faster for less effort, that is the essence of a great ride.
  • Not had such a feeling when on the bike unfortunately but I have experienced similiar during a cross-country run. It was a 10k and I'd measured my efforts carefully saving a bit for the last 2k like I normally did and when it came to increasing the pace it was like everything clicked and it felt very very easy...like I could just demand more speed at any time and the body responded. I crossed the line wishing there was further to go!
  • It's great when the endorphins kick in, something cagers will never experience. You've struggled, so you know how hard it could be, but your body is warmed to the physical effort. You turn a corner or go down a hedge lined lane, and suddenly the resistance drops so you go for it. Up ahead there is a climb that you've always hated, but you come to it at pace and crest it with ease, eliciting one of those "YES!" moments. It's all the better for the fact you are actually part of it, not just some passive passenger.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • I descended Greenhow Hill today with a 20mph tailwind. Didn't use the brakes until the bendy bit near the bottom at Pately Bridge. I think that descent will probably be my top experience of 2011, and one I'll remember for a long long time.