brake pads rubbing

woozor
woozor Posts: 117
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got back from a long ride and well it was tough mainly due to my back brake rubbing on the disc and not letting the wheel spin freely.

Ive tried this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt3XRYiFsqg

but still the same. When i look closely for some light either side of the pads, on one side 1/4 of the pad looks like its rubbing and i cant seem to adjust it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Both calipers working fine ?
  • woozor
    how can I tell? sorry im a total noobie :oops:
  • woozor
    I redone the unlosen bolts, elastic band round the lever then retighten bolts to realign method. And it has sorted it mostly but It tends to go back to rubbing after riding for a while.

When looking closely at the pads they are extremely close to the disc. IS there any way to move them out a bit?
  • What breakes ?
  • woozor
    yes rotor is straight

brakes are hayes formula rx
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Remove the wheel, and push the pads and pistons as far back into the caliper as you can (use a tyre lever, or plastic wedge). Pull brake lever a few times, then go and ride. Let them bed in.
  • i think i'm right in saying your brakes are just Formula Rx's...not made by Hayes...The rotor could be Hayes though?

Formula brakes are a bit renown for this as they have a very tight tolerance between pad and rotor, the rotor needs to be dead straight and the calipers aligned perfectly......i have formula The one Brakes and they are the bain of my life......awesome braking but need adjusting regularly.....they have just started squeeking badly again today after about 10 rides since they were last setup......very annoying.