Old stuff

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm one of those people that rarely throws stuff away just because it's old, it occurred to me whilst making coffee that i've had my kettle for more than 8 years, that's a long time I think.

Anyway I then started thinking about what other old stuff I've got.

Leather belt and zippo I bought when I lived in Spain back in 1989-90
Countless pairs of trainers and shoes I bought in NY 10 years ago, shamefully some I havent even worn :oops:

Why do people like me keep this stuff?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Nothing wrong with keeping old stuff if you're still using it. My kettle is about as old as yours - works fine, why change it?

It feels good to get rid of other crap you don't use though. If you can't flog it, try Freecycle. It's amazing what you can accumulate and equally amazing what people will take. I was clearing out some old computer bits today and found four ASDL modems I never knew I had.

I used to hoard a bit when I owned my own home, but now I'm renting and we move every year or two. As I have to pay to shift it all, it makes sense to lighten the load.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Yeah, I'm the same. If it works why stop using it? I've got some evening shoes that are about 25 years old.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Yeah I'm the same - can't bring myself to throw stuff out till it's broken. I keep some pointless things that I probably won't ever use, but I won't bin trainers till I've worn them through and I don't change the tyres on my bike till they're down to the canvas :P I'm just a tight arse really!
    FCN 2 to 8
  • My ironing board is 22 years old. I had an old washing machine for 16 years as well, but ended up replacing it even though it still worked fine. Both bough when I lived in Germany.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I just threw out coats I never wear anymore and shoes too, made loads of room for more stuff of the bike variety
  • My Swiss army knife bought in 1984 is still in daily use. Back then I think I probably thought twice about paying £10 or so for it!
    I firmly believe in the whole idea of "decluttering" though: freecycle, boot fairs, ebay are all my friends.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I was using my rigid RockHopper today. That's about 22 years old.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    2 years ago I sold my 1979 bike to a friend. I still see it around.
    I still wear my 1986 belt.
    I use a 1982 Karrimor day sack but not every day.

Grant Patterson (the original RetroGrouch) coined the term Beausage.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I don't throw stuff out unless it's completely knackered. I've got a belt I bought when I was 15, 28 years ago. We've had our washing machine 10 years. Bought used for £10. I've replaced the bearings in it twice, but everything else still works. Fridge is 15 yars old. Struggles a bit now to get the temperature down after filling it up. My mountain bike is 14 years old, but still a good bike.
    Problem I've got is now the EPO has been laid off we need to cut back. I'm already as tight as they come. What can I cut back on?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I have an 18 month rule.

Haven't touched it in 18 months? Get rid of it.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I can't believe nobody's quoted the Trigger/ Broom joke yet!
    Come on, you must know the one! :roll:
    Graham.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Graham. wrote:
    I can't believe nobody's quoted the Trigger/ Broom joke yet!
    Come on, you must know the one! :roll:
    Graham.

What, you mean the one that was around centuries before it got attributed to an unfunny 80s sitcom? :lol:

I've got T shirts that are over 25 years old and still regularly used (funny how some fall apart in no time and some go on forever), my Dawes I've had since 1990 and I still wear a fleece I bought in about 1987. Probably quite a few things really. Why get something new if something old is still working?!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Rolf F wrote:
    I've got T shirts that are over 25 years old and still regularly used (funny how some fall apart in no time and some go on forever)

The "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" T-shirt I'm wearing is pretty old. Must be getting on the 20 years. :D

My "Global Hypercolor" T-shirt is probably 20 years old as well. \o/
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I had a massive clearout a few months back.

Old DVDs I never watch, CDs I never listen too, old ornaments I don't have out, old clothes, a ton of old computers/techy spares, the lot.

Basically everything except bike/computer/camera bits I still use and clothes in good condition I still wear.

I have to say it felt good, a little scary but very therapeutic.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have an old day sack strapped to the front of my mtb as a bar bag, works a treat. Bought when I was 12 or 13, I'm 43 now.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Hmm. often chastised for this particular habbit....

Towelling dressinggown from my aunt on my 16th - it still fits so whats the problem? I'm 46
    Casio G-Shock bought in Hong Kong 1991 thats now worth more on ebay than i paid for it!

My father was worse than I have been so far, so more in store maybe :)
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Parts of my bike are older than most of you, and I got them new.

My youngest son has been wearing to school the jacket of the first suit I ever owned. In three weeks time he'll be going to university.
    (He looks very smart in it, all fashions come back eventually.)

I have a folding knife that belonged to my grandfather.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    I have about half of my grandfather's tools (Dad has other half) including an enormous (nearly 2' long) screwdriver, and a pair of pincers which look like they might date to his apprenticeship in Chatham dockyard, where he trained as a joiner.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I still use a pair of Caterpillar boots every time I watch my son play football and rugby in the winter that I bought at university. I left Uni in 1993.

Plenty of years left in them yet!
  • I have 20year old Vauxhall Caliver quite good condition still in use when I fill it up with petrol the petrol is worth for than the car
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    My mum and dad still have the oven/hob and fridge that they had when they got married in 1967!!

The oven, English Electric, has had one new hob ring and new oven elements. The fridge, Electrolux, has been running pretty much 24 hours, every day for 44 years!

Each time the kitchen gets re-done, my mum refuses the offer of a new oven and my dad won't get rid of the fridge as newer ones have far less space inside as the inulation is so thick to make them A+++ on the energy efficiency. But like my dad said, if you take the energy cost of producing a new fridge every 10 years and shipping it half way across the world, the old one is far more energy efficient!
  • I understand keeping something old that works but what drives me nuts is keeping stacks and stacks of broken old crap that just takes up much needed space - broken rusty bikes, magazines, paperwork from 20 years ago, old newspapers, random freaking empty food tubs, broken tools from the 50's, old pipes... just why?!

BTW I married into a family of hoarders, which drives me nuts :x
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    grandpabob wrote:
    I have 20year old Vauxhall Caliver quite good condition still in use when I fill it up with petrol the petrol is worth for than the car

Doesn't count unless you've had it for most of those years. My Saab is 26 years old but I've only had it 18 months. Did keep my old Rover going for about 18 years though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've started the big clear out - so much stuff just not used in years why bother keeping it?

of course the minute I get rid of X I'll prob need to use it then have to buy a new one.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • grandpabob wrote:
    I have 20year old Vauxhall Caliver quite good condition still in use when I fill it up with petrol the petrol is worth for than the car

Doesn't count unless you've had it for most of those years. My Saab is 26 years old but I've only had it 18 months. Did keep my old Rover going for about 18 years though.

I have had it for 18years hardly use it now only did 1340 miles last year
  • I'm also trying to clear out stuff. From a child I was always messing with TVs, Videos, hifis etc and decent cables were expensive for me, hence collecting 2 boxes of various cables which recenly went along with 300 videos or so to the tip.

Dropped a tripod at the weekend and was actually quite pleased cos I could chuck it out (well I will chuck it out).

Amazing what people will buy at car boot sales too.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I love new stuff. However, I have a 1960's TT bike that' I've converted to run single speed. It keeps my dad happy thinking that his old bike is still going strong.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My dogs are pretty old....

.....but then so am I and the wife...

Gonna keep 'em all no matter how threadbare they are :D

........then again, WrathRob, I too like new shiny stuff very much <searches web for NSA dating>

Joking! Joking!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I have an 18 month rule.

Haven't touched it in 18 months? Get rid of it.

Good tactic.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • I am a hoarder but that's also because I'd rather be doing something more interesting than clearing out cupboards. I was much better before I bought a place - when I rented, moving every couple of years made me look at everything and have a clear out.

My kettle is 14 years old :shock: