Sugar: The Bitter Truth

green_hornet
green_hornet Posts: 20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

This is a long watch with lots of detail but certainly thought provoking - could it be another example of governments failing to control a major industry and shafting us all in the process?

Certainly my weight is slowly going down after following the advice.

Hope it helps.

GH

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As with anything we consume, it is about the right quantities at the right time.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're blaming the government for your being fat, then you're delusional.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Like Yeehaa says, I do love it when people expect the government to take responsibility for the obesity in this country.

I don't recall the government ever controling what I put in my mouth and nor should they, its a lame excuse for the fat peoples lazyness.
  • I assume by the lack of meaningful 'analysis' in the replies that it wasn't worth watching the video first?

.. and with respect to the banking crisis - government incompetence could not possibly have played a role, could it! (now that truly delusional)

GH
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    but just look at the amazing graphs he produced

with those lines going up and down all over the data, it must be lies

damn lies, with out the printout of data to try and fool you properly, it just pulls in fools

less cake more activity!!!!

and dont get in that position to start off with.......
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I assume by the lack of meaningful 'analysis' in the replies that it wasn't worth watching the video first?

.. and with respect to the banking crisis - government incompetence could not possibly have played a role, could it! (now that truly delusional)

GH

Thats right it isn't worth watching the video as no doubt its the same as all the other crap, this will make you fat, that will make you fat, don't drink this, do drink that and so on.

It's all theories, especially with the latest one about how chocolate is now a cure for heart disease allegedly, yet it was said it would make you fat and clogg up your arteries causing heart failure and disease, they'll make up their minds one day.

In the meantime I know to roughly watch what I eat (although not to the n'th degree) but I know if I eat lots of sugary crap I'm more likely to put on weight without exercise so I moderate it and couple it with lovely exercise.

It's not tough to work out for yourself, you don't need the government acting as big brother once again to tell you you're fat or not and what you should be doing.
  • Anonymous

GH
    Wait, what? Who mentioned the banking crisis, apart from you just then?
    Or... are you saying that you got fat because after the banking crisis, all you could afford to eat was lard, and that is the government's fault?
    Either way, I still don;t see how it suggests the government should be responsible for how much you eat.
    Unless you're eating the food of two million citizens, in which case, maybe they should act to stop a global famine because of your substantial eating disorder. Maybe th emillitary should be called in.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The video is US, and aimed at the US. Most of the replies here are from the sensible British ;-)

If you eat too much of the wrong things, and don't exercise, you get fat. We have known this for years. If you get fat, it is your own fault (unless you are unlucky to have some sort of metabolism problem, or Cushing's disease, not many do though).

Balanced diet, and exercise. And with health checks freely available on the NHS that will monitor weight, BP and bloods (cholesterols, dblood sugars, triglycerides), you really have no excuse in the UK. Government has produced RDAs for ages.
  • A serious ROFLMAO at the banking crises statement.

Having been a former member of the seriously fat and jiggly club, I can safely say for a scientific fact I was fat because of my choices, not because "the man" was showing spoonfuls of sugar down my throat. I was fat because I chose to eat purely unhealthy. I didn't need government help to get skinny either, I just moved a bit and stopped eating kebabs and chippies everyday.

Unless you have a serious illness which is not self inflicted, such as cancer (but not lung cancer) you have absolutely no right to blame anyone but yourself. It's the same as people saying it's the governments fault they smoke a pack a day because it's in shops and not banned. No it's your fault for smoking and being too weak to quit.

But you do actually have a point, fat people caused the banking crises by loaning money they couldn't pay back because they were too lazy to get off the couch, and away from the crisps.
  • Suger is good!, especially in coffee
  • Anonymous
    yep, I am quite partial to some coffee with my sugar.
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    The simple answer: yes, fructose is not good for you. However, it's up to you in what quantities (even at all) you eat it in - Just because there are products out there with added fructose, doesn't mean you have to eat it!

Yet again, it appears the media have jumped on a 'scientific' breakthrough without really understanding the facts. For example, to use an earlier example, dark chocolate has been shown to reduce the effects of hypertension. However, it's also been shown that the side effects of eating the required amount to lower blood pressure (high fat and sugar intake, namely) have an adverse effect on the overall health of the patient. So yes, it will lower blood pressure, but you'll risk obesity and diabetes in the process!

My advice? Before eating anything, ask 'did it live?'[/quote]
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    Ghostt wrote:
    My advice? Before eating anything, ask 'did it live?'

If it did live is that a good or bad thing?

I'm betting good.
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Haha thought it was clear enough!

Put it this way, by asking if what you are about to eat 'lived' or is made of ingredients that did, you can easily avoid any artificially added ingredients or processed foods. IMO the easiest way to cut out the crap and eat healthily
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • weedy1 wrote:
    Ghostt wrote:
    My advice? Before eating anything, ask 'did it live?'

If it did live is that a good or bad thing?

I'm betting good.

HIV is living - not a hydrocarbon - but living. Amanita Muscaria lives too but you won't if you eat it.

I think you are right though if it was alive - recently - and non toxic then good. I'm still trying to work out what non living thing is edible other than water. Rock, Air and fire being the other alternatives.