Brompton or Moulton?

MarcBC
MarcBC Posts: 333
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
there is a possibility I will be working in London which means getting from Euston to Tower Hill. I am thinking of riding this part of the journey and will need a folding bike to carry on the train from Milton Keynes to Euston.

What would be the better bike in riding terms. A Brompton S2l-x or the Moulton equivalent? Any other folder to consider?

Comments

• Brompton - Moultons divide - they don't fold
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Maybe you mean "Brompton or Dahon", but as Jay says, Moultons aren't folders. They come apart into separate parts.

I went for Brompton because out of all the bikes I looked at, they folded down into the most compact package.

You could also consider Kansi or Mezzo (and some others).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm sticking the fingers of one hand in my mouth and the other in my eyes

YUK!

Don't do et!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    For rail travel, Brompton is hard to beat, nothing else folds so small but rides so OK.
    So, which Brompton?
  • MarcBC
    Thanks Peeps. Assuming the work happens; Brompton it is.

ITB, I hope your eyes and fingers are okay!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Brompton everytime if a train journey is involved, get the S bars, steering feels much more solid with them vs the M bars.

Now you just have to justify the extra money for Titanium!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • MarcBC
    Yup, that is what I am going for. The S2L-X. I think that also comes with the titanium rear triangle and forks.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Fine choice sir. I went titanium and 3 speed, sacrificed a few grammes for a bit more gear range, had it for about 5 years now and never regretted getting it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • S2 LX every time.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire