Looking For Trails Chelmsford, Essex ?

Hacker60
Hacker60 Posts: 73
edited September 2011 in Routes
Hi new member,

I'm looking for organised rides in Chelmsford, Essex area, my nearest
regular ride is Epping Forest, East London, but it's a bit of a trek so can't out there
to often, and would a trial centre set-up, where i cold get some help.

At the moment I ride road, fields, forest tracks, but need some direction somewhere
regular to improve my skill and have some feedback.

Any ideas
Scott Scale 60 - Stock
Spesh FSRXC - Custom

Comments

• Hi mate, looking for exactly the same info.

Can't really find anywhere descent without putting the bike on the back of a car to Swinley or Aston etc.

I appreciate its probably the one of the flattest parts of the country but there must be some trails about? Can anyone help?

Without a bit of local knowledge it seems that Epping is a bit of a web of mainly dead-end trails, when I went there anyhow, other people mention it has some great singletrack?

:)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Not lived there for 30 years... but I saw a thread about Danbury, one on Thorndon in Brentwood, and there's a regular thread on riding in Essex.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cheers mate :)
  • Hi Hacker, I would definately head off to danbury, it has everything you need, though in a small space but that is good for going over the same ground learning techniques, correcting errors etc. I am going this weekend as haven't been in about 5 years. Happy days
    You know your a Cyclist when a surgeon tells you you need a heart valve replacement and you ask if you have a choice between Presta and Schrader.
  • check out Essex herts MTB forum.
    Canyon Strive 8.0 AL. 20013
    Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 09
    Gary Fisher X caliber 00
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    Redbridge cycle centre at hainult has a purpose built mountain bike track, just down the A12 from you.
  • tugger
    tugger Posts: 122
    if you live in chelmsford the best way to link it all is as follows (in my opinion)

from cinema in town take the river out of town, cross river so you are on the north side, go ot under bridge over flood plain toward the fox and raven and continue on river till you go under a12, then over footbridge (green metal one) and that takes you onto graces walk which takes you into danbury, from there go and play in blakes (but be careful, walkers wont like you) or lingwood common or the other wood over the road. there is also danbury common which for the more gravity inclined is loads of fun, although avoid going on your own as you may end up as fox food should you have a problem

ordinance survey maps are a very good option
    All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    I concur, Danbury i a great place to go and play, there is always someone over there to show you around if you ask nicely
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    loads to ride around here, just need to know where to Look
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tobh
    tobh Posts: 103
    hello

i live in chelmo. Danbury is great. There is loads other than the Common - most of it you're not meant to ride. but we do..

we also ride in Hylands and Galleywood usually mid week in the evening then to the pub. There are some really great fast trails in Hylands.

as a group we are pretty xc orientated - but we ride pretty quick, we're also a bit older than the usual Bike Radar user. i am 43,

if you're interested we'd be happy to show you the galleywood hylands routes, in fact a couple of us are out tomorrow morning at 0730.. you ae welcome to join us.

message me via my profile or on twitter @tobyho
  • Another thumbs up for Danbury here. Lots ot singletrack packed in.

I've got a 90 min-ish route that takes in Pheasanthouse Wood, Woodham Walter Common, Thrift Wood, Heather Hills and Lingwood Common.

I'd recommended getting an OS map and just exploring the trails. Its a small place, so not much chance of getting lost.