Red lights

roddixon
roddixon Posts: 100
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Following on from the average speed thread, how many do you have on your commute?

I just had a quick look and I reckon there are about 30 sets on my way to work :shock: . If I were to have to stop at every set and wait on average 30 seconds for a green, I'd be sitting at lights for 30 minutes every day!

I say if, because I jump them all of course 8) :wink:

Comments

• lucky only 7 including a very slow rail cossing that can be down for upto 7 mins
  • I've picked a quiet mixed route with only 1 set. My all main road route has 11.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    main route has around 35 - 40, did try and count them one time but I lost interest during the ride
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    :D None on mine, but there are two light-controlled side-roads that the cycle path crosses, so I can sometimes wait half a minute if I'm unlucky.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    20 I think, and I get caught by about half I guess.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    None. Not even in the 15 mile route. Not a single set. :lol::lol::lol:
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    About 10 I think - I know the patterns pretty well so I know where I have to be to beat them if see them change to green when I'm further down the road. Saves energy and effort if I know I've got no chance of beating them...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Six on my normal morning run, eight if you count several sets at one roundabout.

Four on the return if I use bike paths.

Thirteen on my extended return.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I would say roughly 10 each way. Also have a rail crossing to contend with but I always cross it when there are no trains.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • 81 :( , tho only 15 in the first 5 miles the rest are in the remaining 10!

hmmm, maybe the most direct route isn't always the fastest, tho to be fair in central london there is often little option. According to Garmin my mean 'stopped time' is 9m30s, give or take 45seconds, so assuming average wait time at a light is 30secs I'm stopping at 25% of them, whcih feels about right, but the alternative routes would involve so many small potholed streets/tight corners i doubt the average speed would improve that much...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • 3 Sets of Redlights for me.

David
  • 81 :( , tho only 15 in the first 5 miles the rest are in the remaining 10!

Ok, you win :shock:
  • pk64
    pk64 Posts: 53
    Absolutely none, over 12 miles, although I do live in South Uist, in the Outer Hebrides, I'd need to get on a ferry to see a traffic light.
    2009 Trek 3900 - MTB (Upgraded)
    1976 Eddy Merckx - Road (Restored)
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Anywhere between 2 (in 17 miles) and about 40 (in 11) depending on route.

Bob
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    7 sets in 2 miles
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • 3 sets in 8 miles.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    14 in 8 miles - but that is not counting the numerous pedestrian traffic lights that i encounter which would add another 20 I'd say.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • 9 sets of lights over 5 miles and a good few hills!!! I can manage about 15.5 mph but you really need to be getting up to well over 20mph between the lights to manage this. My normal average speed is about 14.5 mph.
  • No lights , 3 mini roundabouts, 6 junctions .

10 mile commute.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • 2 on mine, both can seen a long way off and judged so i don't have to stop. Junctions and roundabouts are of course another thread!
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    59 red lights
    30 odd PedX lights

:(
  • roddixon wrote:
    Following on from the average speed thread, how many do you have on your commute?

I just had a quick look and I reckon there are about 30 sets on my way to work :shock: . If I were to have to stop at every set and wait on average 30 seconds for a green, I'd be sitting at lights for 30 minutes every day!

Out of interest, how do people in Hamburg view cyclists jumping red lights? As we've seen, here in the UK it generates incredible anger, IMO entirely disproportionate to the level of the crime. IME cyclists hopping on and off pavements and through red lights in many continental countries is just seen as one of those things and accepted in the same way pedestrians cross roads willy nilly whenever they can. Perhaps I'm getting that wrong though and actually the Germans, French, Spanish etc are as angry about RLJing as people here are?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • roddixon wrote:

Out of interest, how do people in Hamburg view cyclists jumping red lights?
    Well here in Germany at least red lights are generally respected by pedestrians - I was amazed when I first came here that a red man caused everyone to stop and anyone not obeying it was frowned upon, cyclists however are a bit hit and miss. I dont actually see that many on my way to work even though I cycle pretty much into the middle of the city, probably too early, but I do see the odd one jumping lights. I imagine they cause the same frowning as pedestrians who RLJ, Germans are very particular when it comes to rules and regulations.
  • 24 in 5 miles going in and 23 on the way home. It's a drag, particularly the ones so well designed that they always stop cyclists as they are timed so badly - too slow or too fast
    Over 50mph on Malaucene descent
  • 31 in 5.4 miles
  • roddixon wrote:
    roddixon wrote:

Well here in Germany at least red lights are generally respected by pedestrians - I was amazed when I first came here that a red man caused everyone to stop and anyone not obeying it was frowned upon, cyclists however are a bit hit and miss. I dont actually see that many on my way to work even though I cycle pretty much into the middle of the city, probably too early, but I do see the odd one jumping lights. I imagine they cause the same frowning as pedestrians who RLJ, Germans are very particular when it comes to rules and regulations.

Yes, that's what I would have thought. Many countries are the same when it comes to peds, they are only supposed to cross at specific crossing points when the green man is showing. Japan is the same... I crossed all over the place as in the UK before some told me that I wasn't supposed to... When I have been on the continent in countries like France, Belgium and the Netherlands, I have seen cyclists riding on the pavements and through reds etc but it just doesn't seem to generate the hysteria it does here, where it's perfectly acceptable for peds to stroll across roads wherever and whenever they like...
  • roddixon wrote:
    roddixon wrote:

Yes, that's what I would have thought. Many countries are the same when it comes to peds, they are only supposed to cross at specific crossing points when the green man is showing. Japan is the same... I crossed all over the place as in the UK before some told me that I wasn't supposed to... When I have been on the continent in countries like France, Belgium and the Netherlands, I have seen cyclists riding on the pavements and through reds etc but it just doesn't seem to generate the hysteria it does here, where it's perfectly acceptable for peds to stroll across roads wherever and whenever they like...
    Interesting the little quirks in different cultures, cant say I have a good reason for the particular attitudes though. Its said that its more bicycle friendly here, but its just an illusion in my experience. The bike lanes are in a crap condition, and then you are forced by law to use them, even if you are travelling at 40 kmh :shock:. They are actually looking into adopting the UK approach here and moving the bicycle lanes onto the roads.
  • roddixon wrote:
    roddixon wrote:
    roddixon wrote:

Interesting the little quirks in different cultures, cant say I have a good reason for the particular attitudes though. Its said that its more bicycle friendly here, but its just an illusion in my experience. The bike lanes are in a crap condition, and then you are forced by law to use them, even if you are travelling at 40 kmh :shock:. They are actually looking into adopting the UK approach here and moving the bicycle lanes onto the roads.

I must admit, when I have seen dedicated cycle lanes on the continent which usually take up a section of pavement, they are a complete waste of time as generally they are litter strewn car parking/places where peds stand and have conversations. However equally in this country they are often pointless as they start and end within a matter of metres and are ignored by most other road users... What we should see in London is complete pedestrianisation/cycle-isation of most side roads, forcing motorists onto major thoroughfares where they can sit in traffic, leaving the rest of the city to others...