Fahking p!ssed off

monkeydan
monkeydan Posts: 95
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi

i spent fahking ages changing my inner tube cos I have only recently started cycling again and have only ever done it once before. After becoming very sweaty and upset I managed to fit the new one, get the tyre back on the rim and pump up the tyre.

It went flat straight away.

What may have happened and how can I avoid this in future?

Not happy, off for some beers now to chill out (been one of those weeks) but will check back later.

Cheers

Dan
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Did you carefully check the tyre for the cause of the first puncture?
  • Did you check inside the tyre for whatever may have caused the p* n*t*r*? If you have still got the culprit in the tyre then it will just keep happening. Enjoy your beer.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Annoying huh?

Probably pinched it with the tyre levers i reckon.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    Did you carefully check the tyre for the cause of the first puncture?
    Thats #1 cause... other possibilities (in no particular order)

Faulty tube or valve - esp if its been at the bottom of your rucsac or saddlebag for a while - always inflate lightly to check before fitting

Pinched tube between rim and tyre bead - again inflate tube lightly before inserting under tyre bead

Rim tape worn, allowing spoke to puncture tube
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Farkin idiot probably farkin pinched the farkin thing gettin farkin angry with it :lol:
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Yeh, the tube pinch is a bugger, especially if you spend a bit of time checking the tyre and think you're all clear.

I've just had 3 in 2 days, like most on here probably I can get the whole thing changed in less than 10 mins now. Too much practice. :(

The most annoying puncture incident I had was last summer, I'd had a real shitty day at work, left late and then got a puncture early in the ride. I changed to one of my spare tubes (I always try and carry two) and 10 miles later got another. I pulled into a retail park car park, checked the tyre, pulled out 2 pieces of glass and changed to my last spare. Dam it! - pinched the tube in my haste to get the tyre on and down it went. Now, as luck would have it this retail park has a Halfords, so, noting the time was nearly 8pm when they close I rush over there and buy a cheapy (aren't they all in Halfords?) tube to get me home.
    I leave the store as they are closing the shutters and put the new tube on. I get 90% of the way pumping it up and the effing tyre bursts!

I was <this> close just to kicking the bike over and leaving it there. I walked the last 3 miles home, stopping off halfway at a newsagent for a biking magazine and a pub with a nice garden.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Pinch flat sounds like the cause to me to. Have done it in the past and its a real p!sser. I find a good way to avoid it is to inflate the tube slightly before putting the tire back on. You want it to take its proper shape just enough to stop it flopping around near the rim (fnaar, fnaar as Finbar Saunders would say)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Sketchley posted a YouTube link of how to get a tyre back on the rim without levers a little while back. I thought it was b0llox but when the Puncture Fairy visited me on Monday I tried the technique and it worked (Conti Gatorskins, so not exactly easy tyres to manipulate). Magic! No more pinch flats for me (fingers crossed)

I'll see if I can find the link
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Well, feeling a little less stressed out today, albeit a tad hungover. I did check the tyre and couldn't find the cause of the punct*re, also checked the rim tape and no spokes poking through or anything like that.

I was having problems trying to get the tyre back on the rim so enlisted the help of a fellow employee (the incident took place in the underground car park at work). So maybe it was his fault and not mine! He didn't use the tyre levers to get it back on.

I might go pick up the bike and just train / walk it home. At least when I get p!ssed off there I can go play some Xbox or something and I can just practice getting the tyre on and off.

Thanks for the responses and tips everyone.

Now England are losing to Argentina in the rugby though! FML
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro