which size tyres?

woozor
woozor Posts: 117
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Guys im after some road tyres for my mtb.

Ive found these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24629

but I dont know which size i need. As I want to use my inner tubes from my current tyres. And again I dont know what they are either. Total noobie im afraid.

Link to my bikes tyres if it helps:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l48 ... C11080.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    26 inch tyres, max width 2.3 inches.
  • Any of the tyres in your link should fit ok. 1.5's will be slightly faster but 1.95's will be more comfortable.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    I don't think you'll notice that much difference between fitting slicks and swapping your tyres over.

Racing Ralphs have a low rolling resistance so stick that on the back and the Nobby Nic on the front for improved cornering grip and just increase the tyre pressures.

I have Racing Ralphs on one bike, Schwalbe Land Cruisers (semi slicks) on my hardtail and a set of wheels with Michelin City slicks I cant tell the difference, except once when I took a short cut across some slippy wet grass and mud and fell off, if I had the ralphs or land crusiers fitted I'd have been fine.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    davewalsh wrote:
    Any of the tyres in your link should fit ok. 1.5's will be slightly faster but 1.95's will be more comfortable.

This is a fallacy - wider tyres will be more comfortable and theoretically quicker. Counter-intuitive as that might sound.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • woozor
    Well I find the current tyres drag alot on the road, compared to my old bike which had dmr motos and they used to roll much better.

But cheers all I ordered some jet citys 26x1.95
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    cooldad wrote:
    davewalsh wrote:
    Any of the tyres in your link should fit ok. 1.5's will be slightly faster but 1.95's will be more comfortable.

This is a fallacy - wider tyres will be more comfortable and theoretically quicker. Counter-intuitive as that might sound.

Totally depends on the surface, pressures and grip. They can be faster. They are certianly lighter, and mor aerodynamic.
  • cooldad
    Good choice.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    There is an interesting read on the net somewhere about this. Came to the conclusion that wider/fatter tyres actually do roll better quicker due to them being more round. I want to try and find it but can't be arsed :)
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • cooldad
    supersonic wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    davewalsh wrote:

Totally depends on the surface, pressures and grip. They can be faster. They are certianly lighter, and mor aerodynamic.

Fair enough, one should be careful of absolutes.
    The fatter ones are certainly more comfortable on our less than smooth roads though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • woozor
    Got my tyres through today and put them on.. then just went out for a ride got caught in the rain :cry:

was avg around 17mph. Im running 65psi as thats what it says is the max on tyre. Is that the case and should I just stick to that psi or should I run higher?

Schwalbe jet citys 26x1.95
  • cooldad
    Why would you want to go higher? If that's the limit?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • woozor
    because Ive seen online people saying 90psi

But I got no idea if that is logical or just stupid.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Depends what you're doing really... Very high pressures do make for a fast tyre on the road but also a horrible ride, I run mine fairly squishy at about 50psi and you can feel the difference in drag but it's worth it IMO, for me anyway. I'm not out to win any races...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    I agree with northwind - more comfortable a bit squishier.
    I would presume they recommend a max for a reason.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Very high pressures also reduce roadholding.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools