MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Bloody hell!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    in what DI Taylor described as a “massive over-reaction”.

Massive under statement!!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    The Argus wrote:
    the cyclist, who was not wearing a helmet
    If it had been a pedestrian beaten 15 times in the head with hammer, would it have mentioned that they weren't wearing a helmet!? Have you ever seen a report of someone being stabbed or shot where it mentioned that they weren't wearing a stab or bullet proof vest!?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Graeme_S wrote:
    The Argus wrote:
    the cyclist, who was not wearing a helmet
    If it had been a pedestrian beaten 15 times in the head with hammer, would it have mentioned that they weren't wearing a helmet!? Have you ever seen a report of someone being stabbed or shot where it mentioned that they weren't wearing a stab or bullet proof vest!?

Would be more interesting to know what bike they were riding :)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • A good lesson to get faster on the hills.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • How long does it take to hit someone 15 times with a hammer. You would have thought at least one of the four witnesses would have stepped up.
    Agree with the above about massive over-reaction being an understatement. The implication is that in the mind of DI Taylor there is a point where the assault would not have been an over-reaction and therefore have been justifiable.
    I'm hopeful that the mention of lack of helmet clarifies that the hammer made contact with skull.
  • The guy was 60 years old ffs
  • "Old Age Lycra Lout Holds Up Traffic and Headbutts Man Holding Hammer"
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Why the hell do they have to mention he wasn't wearing a helmet? I expect he wasn't wearing a gingham dress with doc martins, a blonde wig and a hand puppet called Mr Flibble either.

What the feckityfeck does his lack of helmet have to do with anything??????

Poor guy gets beaten senseless by a coward and a thug and they mention he wasn't wearing a HELMET.

FFS.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Agreed. I'm all for wearing helmets, but wtf does it have to do with anything in this case?

Someone less lazy than me should email the editor and ask why.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Why the hell do they have to mention he wasn't wearing a helmet? I expect he wasn't wearing a gingham dress with doc martins, a blonde wig and a hand puppet called Mr Flibble either.

Poor guy gets beaten senseless by a coward and a thug and they mention he wasn't wearing a HELMET.

FFS.
    They assailant needs to sentenced to 4 minutes WOO
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Why the hell do they have to mention he wasn't wearing a helmet? I expect he wasn't wearing a gingham dress with doc martins, a blonde wig and a hand puppet called Mr Flibble either.

FFS.

+1 completely irrelavent.
    Anyway, even if he was it would have shattered in the first few blows anyway.

what sort of disturbed tw@t carries a hammer in their car anyway, and in Worthing, its not exactly south london.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Agreed. I'm all for wearing helmets, but wtf does it have to do with anything in this case?.

+1

Even if he had a helmet would the offender still have repeatedly hit him on the head? I'm sure after a while it might click.
    The guy was 60 years old ffs.

60 is really not that old, I hate the generalisation that people over 50(+) are frail/unfit, need to be cuddled, require some form of water retaining underwear. In some ways reminds of Britain's Got Talent;

Judge: How old are you sir?
    Contestant: 60
    Crowd: Weeeey!!!! OMG! Whoooop! He's still freaking alive!

Some guys I come across in the gym/commute are older than 60 and way fitter than most half their age including myself.
  • Absolutely shocking!

It does seem that the writer of the article has some weird hidden agenda, he comments on the cyclist preventing the car from passing. At the end of the day no matter how slow traffic is travelling it is either safe or unsafe to pass. What a complete tool!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    t4tomo wrote:

FFS.

+1 completely irrelavent.
    Anyway, even if he was it would have shattered in the first few blows anyway.

what sort of disturbed tw@t carries a hammer in their car anyway, and in Worthing, its not exactly south london.

[devils advocate]

I think it's fair to mention in this case. In stories about a car hitting a cyclist I think it's stupid to mention the helmet or lack thereof, but in this story? Surely they are highlighting that the assailant was hitting the chap directly on his bonce, not via a helmet.

I don't think they're saying the guy should have worn a helmet, then he'd have been ok, I think that the point is the driver must have known exactly how much damage he would do as he is hitting someone directly on the head.

In a story about someone being hit on the head by a hammer, whether they have any protective headgear on is pretty relevant.

[/devils advocate]

I don't wear a helmet :)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • spose so
  • suppose not

Where in the article does it say he was hit on he head?
    A cyclist was hit up to 15 times with a hammer in a road rage attack.

Police believe the driver struck because he was irritated the 60-year-old cyclist was taking too long to ride up a hill.

Detective Constable Tony Taylor, said the cyclist, who was not wearing a helmet, was struggling against the wind preventing the driver from passing.

At least four members of the public watched in horror as the cyclist was beaten and hit up to 15 times, in Tennyson Road, Worthing on Wednesday, in what DI Taylor described as a “massive over-reaction”.

For the full story see today's Argus.

I think my point stands.

Sorry, not point: Rant.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    sweet jesus!

surely hitting the cyclist over the head slowed the driver even more than the bloke going up the hill?

any news on the rider?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • pangolin
    Good point. Perhaps I assumed it was his head because they mentioned the helmet :o
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin wrote:
    Surely they are highlighting that the assailant was hitting the chap directly on his bonce, not via a helmet.
    Erm... that's what I said in my 12:31 post :- "I'm hopeful that the mention of lack of helmet clarifies that the hammer made contact with skull."
  • pangolin
    Twostage wrote:
    Erm... that's what I said in my 12:31 post :- "I'm hopeful that the mention of lack of helmet clarifies that the hammer made contact with skull."

Congratulations.

However posters at 12:46 pm, 12:49 pm, 1:21 pm and 1:26 pm either ignored your comment or disagreed with it.

If there was a forum rule against repeating each other all threads would consist of about 3 posts.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Damm what a sad thing to read - who would have though that someone could be some dumb/angry/hateful.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    mudcow007 wrote:
    surely hitting the cyclist over the head slowed the driver even more than the bloke going up the hill?
    This really pisses me off. Drivers who can't possibly wait 30 seconds until it's safe to over take, but suddenly have all the time in the world to argue with you, or try to attack you with their cars.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited September 2011
    JonGinge wrote:
    They assailant needs to sentenced to 4 minutes WOO

I think you need to either lay off the coffee or back away from the keyboard.

If you choose to back away from the keyboard then I'd suggest not using the time to go for coffee.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • good point kb - i actually presumed from the fact they had mentioned the helmet that he was struck on the head but as you say - it wasn't mentioned...

there's no need for people like that and he should be buried alive with some trees to benefit from his corpses nutrients.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • To be fair - i think it was simply a poorly written summary of the full story that inadvertently assumed some knowledge of the incident which is explained in the full article

(with emphasis on poorly written)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X