Overtaking when a cyclist is coming towards you

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Is this illegal?

Happened to me twice now (as in the car was alongside of me while overtaking) this week

The first one wasn't clear due to rain on the lens but todays should be visible - so is it worth reporting?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Happens quite a bit to me round here. Usually it's drivers overtaking bikes, horses or pedestrians round blind bends on narrow lanes. I had a run of having to jam the anchors on at least once a day for a while to avoid a car coming head on at me.

Not sure about cars overtaking cars and the legal position. Sounds like dangerous driving to me. And, at the very least, like a lack of common sense.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They shouldn't be overtaking when there's something coming the other way assuming it's a normal road. if there's room then I guess they can, but it wouldn't be very wise.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    They shouldn't be overtaking when there's something coming the other way assuming it's a normal road. if there's room then I guess they can, but it wouldn't be very wise.

Depends on how far away the vehicle coming towards you is when you make your manoeuvre.

In my experience the vehicle overtaking while coming towards a cyclist is doing so because he hasn't seen the cyclist or has misjudged the cyclists speed or distance
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:

Depends on how far away the vehicle coming towards you is when you make your manoeuvre.

In my experience the vehicle overtaking while coming towards a cyclist is doing so because he hasn't seen the cyclist or has misjudged the cyclists speed or distance

Well, yes, I took 'coming the other way' to mean close enough to cause genuine concern for whatever it is that's 'coming the other way'.

I'd agree witht he second point too, I don't think they're seeing cyclists and thinking they can fit through or that the cyclist should get out of the way. More likely they just haven't seen the cyclist.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    It's happened to me a few times as well. Even had a lorry overtake a tractor as I was coming the other way. He just made it back to his own lane before he hit me as well.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    There was a guy from the forum killed a few years ago in this way, scares the bejesus out of me. You'd have no chance, if you've got footage I'd pass it to the police even if they just have a word with the guy it might make them think in the future.

This is one of the reasons I like to have a good front light. :(
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I find this to be more of a problem when cars are overtaking from behind me.

The first car goes past nice and safely, the second one goes by no problem. It's the third car who tries to squeeze past too which scares the bejesus out of you.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Was cycling with a mate through Glen Coe a few years ago. I was a little in front, heading down the Glen, line of cars coming up toward us on the other side. The third car in line pulled out as it was level with me and overtook the two ahead of it.

I never really noticed this, but my friend looked up and saw car accellerating towards him, wheels on the edge-of-road whilte line on HIS side, and immediately threw hinself left off the road. I looked back and froze as I could see no sign of my mate who was there just a few seconds before.

He emerged up the small incline, cut, bruised and shaken, but in one piece. No cars stopped. Scary biscuits! Oh and bike was ok too....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • prawny wrote:
    There was a guy from the forum killed a few years ago in this way, scares the bejesus out of me. You'd have no chance, if you've got footage I'd pass it to the police even if they just have a word with the guy it might make them think in the future.

This is one of the reasons I like to have a good front light. :(

That would be the flashing Hope Vision 2 I had on when this happened on Wednesday....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Oh, and I've fired an email off to the local beat bobby for the area (Kelly)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails87 wrote:

I find this a lot, a lot of motorists seem to think cyclists are going slower than they are.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Was cycling with a mate through Glen Coe a few years ago. I was a little in front, heading down the Glen, line of cars coming up toward us on the other side. The third car in line pulled out as it was level with me and overtook the two ahead of it.

I never really noticed this, but my friend looked up and saw car accellerating towards him, wheels on the edge-of-road whilte line on HIS side, and immediately threw hinself left off the road. I looked back and froze as I could see no sign of my mate who was there just a few seconds before.

He emerged up the small incline, cut, bruised and shaken, but in one piece. No cars stopped. Scary biscuits! Oh and bike was ok too....

This really bothers me.

Cars overtaking other cars when you're going in the opposite direction to them. Scary stuff, I think it's happened to me twice. One time the road was wide enough for me to move over and I couldn't help giving the overtaking driver two fingers. Other time I had to bail into the grass verge.
  • On A roads It's fine as there is always enough room. Most b roads its ok too as long as the car keeps over a bit. On narrower lanes it obviously becomes more of a problem.

I don't see how it is more dangerous than a car overtaking you when another car is coming the other way as long as the driver has seen you.
  • I reviewed the vid when I got home last night and the number plate isn't clear again (came too fast and the image is blurred)

It's actually quiet funny watching as the driver kind of realises he's got a choice of me or lorry and appears to to pick the lorry and moves REALLY close :roll:

It actually wasn't as 'bad' as I thought, bloody close though. :?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I had a bus do that to me the other day - got halfway past me and spotted the car coming the other way and pulled into my side - I had to mount the kerb to avoid him - had a few words with the driver when I passed him at the next stop - his excuse was 'I didn't see the car' - I pointed out he'd do less damage hitting the car than hitting me
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    Makes you realize that close overtaking really isnt the danger on rural roads, although it feels uncomfortable. The Real danger nealy always comes towards you or from the side.

Happened to me the other day. I was in the prmary position having rounded a downhill left hander at about 27mph. The car clearly saw me because he was gesticulating to me to get out of his way. The fact i was there didnt really figure in his decision to overtake the (fast) cyclist coming the other way. Lucky I was in the primary or Id have nowhere to go!

There are som blankers out there!
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    and keiran, you havent posted the yourtube link to the vid?
  • Here you go

http://youtu.be/5Ktb3qzSeqc?hd=1

I added another stupid moment that happened on the way home that same day. (girls crosses road after parents / siblings and simply doesn't even look at all. Just assumes that if they've walked out it's perfectly safe... yeesh)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The car didn't look great, but I've seen worse. Doesn't mean it wasn't brown trouser time though.
    The kid was just stupid, but then, kids are stupid. You did the right thing with letting her know you were coming. Elbowing her in the face as you rode past would have been more interesting though!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    The kid looked old enough to know better.
    Graham.
  • I'm not sure how clear the bell comes across on the vid - but it is very clear when rung, so it wasn't like I wasn't trying to warn her.

It's just the look of utter shock when she realises I'm there. :roll:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Kieran, any update on your complaint against Mrs Marie Scott of "Walk that Dog (but Drive like a Blind Mole)" of Kegworth?
  • None I'm sorry to say :cry:

Not sure if I should (or can) chase it up
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    You should have been given an incident number by the officer/civ. liaison. Without it, it's a little harder, but should be discoverable searching on name, date and point of reporting.

Otherwise, if you've a mate with m4d w3b sk1llz, set up a website along the lines walkthatdogsucks, complete with video and details and use SEO to put it on the first page of google for dog walking in the Kegworth area...