Morning Ride In

ince
ince Posts: 289
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Today's ride into work didn't get off to the best start. Cold, damp and my legs not wanting to push me past 16mph. :(

I turn on to the cycle way and see 400 yards in from of me a fellow commuter (this is unusual) and straight away my pace picks up and off I go. Still not pushing too hard I soon make up the ground. The guy is on a flat bar road bike and looking at his kit no stranger to the bike.

I pass him doing 18mph and carry on my way. But wait! whats that noise I hear. The click of a gear change, quick look to check and there he is sat on my wheel. :) Ok I can do this, I up my cadence and speed up to 20 - 21 mph. Surprised I start to feel good, sucking in the extra oxygen holding the speed.

Another quick check and he is still there on my wheel. Grrrrrrr, ok I'm still on the hoods .... do I move to the drops and go for it or hope a few more miles at this pace will drop him. As we round a corner there up ahead are a group of dog owners with dogs off the lead stood chatting in the path 100 yards ahead. I ease off, quick check that the guy following has seen them and not going to zip past me. As we slow down, the wind noise drops and I can hear the guy gasping. :D

We move through the peds and dogs, I drop a gear, out of the saddle and off we go. Turn the tap on to full and push up to 27mph. I am now feeling great and keep the pace up for another half mile before I need to turn off. Quick check and he is dropped, happy days.

(I don't get to race into work much)

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SCR thread?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    SCR thread?

Your right :oops: ... didn't even think about that thread. Like I said, don't get to race much. Will try to remember if it ever happens again.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Well done Sir!

EKE, you are too picky even if you do have a point :wink: :P
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    ince wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    SCR thread?

Your right :oops: ... didn't even think about that thread. Like I said, don't get to race much. Will try to remember if it ever happens again.

Neither does anyone in the SCR thread. We're just riding to work.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    ince wrote:
    We move through the peds and dogs, I drop a gear, out of the saddle and off we go. Turn the tap on to full and push up to 27mph. I am now feeling great and keep the pace up for another half mile before I need to turn off. Quick check and he is dropped, happy days.

(I don't get to race into work much)
    SCR fail, trying too hard ;)

Good scalp though.[/b]
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Had a fella pull onto the road last week about 500m ahead of me.

Could I catch him....could I hell!

He must have been travelling at the very same pace 'cos I never gained or lost any distance on him. I could've gone all out to catch him but I didn't want to be blowing away behind him with nothing left.

Its a funny old game SCR in'it?