Largest sporting events

de_sisti
de_sisti Posts: 1,283
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
Listening to the radio 4 sports bulletin this morning, they discussed the rugby
world cup and said it was that 3rd largest sporting event in the world. I wouldn't
have ranked it that high, and above it I would have had the footy world cup, the
world athletics championship, Commonwealth games, Tour de France and the
other grand tours.

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    What were the 2 above it?

TDF is the largest sporting event annually.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Gazzaputt wrote:

TDF is the largest sporting event annually.

Only if you measure largest by number of people who watch it in person...
  • As Rick says it depends what you judge it on. Going on the poor sods who's tax money pays for it then the olympics is well out in front, largest tv audience would be the Football world cup, largest number of obese people watching a game would be the superbowl, etc etc. You can make statistics say whatever you want!
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I'd have thought the largest number in terms of people at the event at any one pt is Le Mans 24 hr.
  • rick_chasey
    izza wrote:
    I'd have thought the largest number in terms of people at the event at any one pt is Le Mans 24 hr.

The French usually say around 15 million people stand by the the roadside ever year to watch the Tour go past.

That's a few more than at Le Man...
  • I’m assuming the football world cup and the Olympics are the top two. If the measure is global popularity/tv audiences then there is no way a GT like the Vuelta gets anywhere near the rugby world cup. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if even the Six Nations eclipsed it, although that is probably not classed as a single event. I would have thought some of the tennis and golf majors come above the Vuelta and Giro quite easily on that measure. As others say though, how are they measuring it?
  • rick_chasey
    I’m assuming the football world cup and the Olympics are the top two. If the measure is global popularity/tv audiences then there is no way a GT like the Vuelta gets anywhere near the rugby world cup. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if even the Six Nations eclipsed it, although that is probably not classed as a single event. I would have thought some of the tennis and golf majors come above the Vuelta and Giro quite easily on that measure. As others say though, how are they measuring it?

Wikipedia
    Estimates for the 2008 Summer Olympics opening ceremony global TV viewership varied between one and four billion,[2][3][4][5][6][7] including an estimated 842 million viewers watching on host Chinese broadcaster China Central Television.[2] A verifiable audience of 984 million tuned in at some stage, averaging at 593 million, while 778 million watched the closing ceremony.[8]
    The 2006 FIFA World Cup Final was watched by 715 million people, as estimated by FIFA.[9] IPG independent media agency Initiative Worldwide estimated an average of 260 million, with 600 million who tuned for some part of the game.[10] The independent firm Initiative Futures Sport + Entertainment estimate a reach of 638 million and an average of 322 million viewers.[11]

Last year, these were the figures in millions:

Soccer: UEFA Champions League - Final (Barcelona vs. Manchester United) 109
    2. American Football: NFL Super Bowl XLIII (Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Arizona Cardinals) 106
    3. Formula One: FIA World Championships - Bahrain Grand Prix 54
    4. Athletics: IAAF World Athletics Championships - Men's 100 Meters Final 33
    5. Tennis: Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships (Men's Singles Final, Roger Federer vs. Andy Roddick) 29
    6. Baseball: World Baseball Classic - Final (Japan vs. South Korea) 27
    7. Baseball: MLB World Series - Game 6 (Philadelphia Phillies vs. New York Yankees) 26
    8. Basketball: NBA Finals - Game 5 (Los Angeles Lakers vs. Orlando Magic) 26
    9. Golf: US Masters (Final Day) 21
    10. Motor Cycling: MotoGP World Championship - Italy 19
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Heard the same on Radio 5 last night, the Rugby world cup was the third largest sporting event in the world after the Football World Cup and the Olympics.
    Apparently it has a potential audience of 4 Billion.
    It's quoted here there and everywhere on the net and papers etc.
  • If it's measured by people in one place I'd say the Indy 500 would do it - that holds the guts of 250,000 people!
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    De Sisti wrote:
    Listening to the radio 4 sports bulletin this morning, they discussed the rugby
    world cup and said it was that 3rd largest sporting event in the world. I wouldn't
    have ranked it that high, and above it I would have had the footy world cup, the
    world athletics championship, Commonwealth games, Tour de France and the
    other grand tours.

Commonwealth games? Are you having a laugh? Pretty sure last year's event was watched by approximately 32 people worldwide.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Bozman wrote:
    Heard the same on Radio 5 last night, the Rugby world cup was the third largest sporting event in the world after the Football World Cup and the Olympics.

If 4 billion people in the world have TV sets, then every programme ever made has a potential audience of 4 billion!

Those "watched by XX billion people worldwide" is just marketing guff. They count everybody, from people who saw a clip on the news, to people who channel-surfed past it looking for the Eastenders omnibus.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I seriously doubt the rugby world cup is anywhere near the top 3.

Only fairly low population countries have an interest and very few of those countries have rugby as their main sport.

They make up stuff for tv viewers all the time. For the royal wedding they quoted 2bn, but this would have meant it'd be more popular in America than the superbowl (at 5am or something) .... and that same ratio in every country in the world.
    exercise.png
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    My job is heading up corporate sponsorship for a biggish company and I can catagorically say there is no definitive measurement on "biggest event".

Live audience, TV audience (audited and unaudited), print media space, TV hours, advertising equivalency (where the time a logo is seen on screen or "inches" in print is multiplied by the cost of advertising on that outlet), and the NRS social grade mix of audience are all measurements of an event's scale/"biggness" (along with a lot more). They are rolled out all the time by rights holders to prove that their thing is worth buying.

In the end it's all a bit pointess really, especially at this end of the market. :D
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    afx237vi wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

If 4 billion people in the world have TV sets, then every programme ever made has a potential audience of 4 billion!

Those "watched by XX billion people worldwide" is just marketing guff. They count everybody, from people who saw a clip on the news, to people who channel-surfed past it looking for the Eastenders omnibus.

Not always, there are companies that will produce audited viewing figures, though they will be based on samples.
  • The rugby world cup is never the 3rd biggest in the world.

There are less than 10 nations where it will potentially have a big tv audience in percentage terms, and of these countries probably only New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga and Wales would have it as their main sport.

Football world cup
    Olympics (talthough he official viewing figures are inflated due to the opening and closing ceremonies which shouldnt count!)
    Champions League Final
    Superbowl
    Copa Libertadores
    Football Euro Championships
    Copa America
    Tour de France
    Wimbledon
    F1

In football there will be individual league matches like Barcelona v Real Madrid which get a huge audience around the world. There will also be events which get a bigger audience too based just on viewership in one country - the Indian cricket premier league or table tennis world championships in China.