Longo facing anti-doping suspension

Le Commentateur
Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
edited November 2011 in Pro race
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... tory.shtml

Seems she has done an "Ohuruogu" and was not where she should have been when the testers turned up.

Comments

• Wonder if this will prompt her to finally retire!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • We probably won't see her riding for a longo time.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    she's that old her memory has probably started to fail her :?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I wonder if any of the timing related to her husbands internet purchases
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • We probably won't see her riding for a longo time.

:lol: Tickled me this morning, thanks.

As for Longo, once is possibly excuseable, maybe, but 3 times? Really? Time to hang her saddle bags up i reackon!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Looks like the Jeannie's out of the bottle now.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    She's been linked to PED-peddlar Joe Papp:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9721/ ... aring.aspx
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    iainf72 wrote:
    I wonder if any of the timing related to her husbands internet purchases

What's he been doing ?
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    She will throw a tantrum, complain about how the FFC have always got it in for her, say she's a friend of Sarko and get reinstated as untouchable. "Ne touche pas à ma Jeannie!" I can hear echoing around the capital already. Perhaps she needs a bit of support from LA as well.
    She might be the beloved of the french public but she should have retired long ago; she's never done anything to advance french women's cycling, just her own career IMHO. (and yse, for me she is one of those sportswomen that I avoid watching, there are a few others).
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Don't know nothing about the story of the testing. But seems abit harsh for saying she should retire for not helping to advance Womans French Cycling. Course she is out to help her own career... who wouldn't?

Not her problem is none of the younger crop can't beat her...
  • mz__jo
    rebs wrote:
    Don't know nothing about the story of the testing. But seems abit harsh for saying she should retire for not helping to advance Womans French Cycling. Course she is out to help her own career... who wouldn't?

Not her problem is none of the younger crop can't beat her...

Perhaps I am a bit old-fashioned but I am still a believer in people putting back into the system what they have got out of it; that is one of the ways that sport progresses, the top helping and stimulating the roots. Perhaps Jeannie Longo feels that she hasn't got enough out of the FFC.
  • Of course she's clean, she just pedals at a really high cadence.....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    Probably waiting for the HRT to clear her system!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    LangerDan wrote:
    Oh, FFS, stop digging!
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/longo-claims-she-is-most-tested-athlete-in-the-world

Just wait til LA hears this. That's his title! He's going to be pissed!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I don't suppose that the classic "Senior Moment" defence is going to cut it with the AFLD.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RichN95 wrote:
    I don't suppose that the classic "Senior Moment" defence is going to cut it with the AFLD.

Perhaps if she arrives at the hearing with her knickers on the outside and smelling faintly of Wurthers and prune juice?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    She probably is the most tested given such a long career. But that's a point of fact and not helpful.

Why did she miss three tests? Playing around after two missed tests is asking for it, she has tested positive for stupidity.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Pross wrote:

(discards cardigan, fans face and stares intently)

DON'T MESS WITH MENOPAUSAL WOMEN, YOUNG PROSS.

The judge will let us off as we have led faultless lives, contribute to society and look entirely harmless.

Jeannie is one of my heroes. I've talked about her to everyone (over the age of 40) in the jogging and gossiping group I go to.

I'm stunned, and may have to self medicate on further gin.

In fact I'm beyond stunned. (Feel free to fill in all emotions expressed by LA fanboys who finally deduced that their hero had feet of clay).
  • I have been following her career for nearly 30 years. Shocked, but I have heard she is focused on herself only. If she is found guilty then goodbye. Now for some emoticons!

:? :(:o :oops: :x :cry: :roll: :?: :!: :!:
  • mz__jo
    Tusher wrote:
    Pross wrote:

(discards cardigan, fans face and stares intently)

DON'T MESS WITH MENOPAUSAL WOMEN, YOUNG PROSS.

The judge will let us off as we have led faultless lives, contribute to society and look entirely harmless.

Jeannie is one of my heroes. I've talked about her to everyone (over the age of 40) in the jogging and gossiping group I go to.

I'm stunned, and may have to self medicate on further gin.

In fact I'm beyond stunned. (Feel free to fill in all emotions expressed by LA fanboys who finally deduced that their hero had feet of clay).

Tusher Quite frankly I couldn't care les if she is doped or not (even if I assume she is). It is not relevant. It does not change the fact that after a certain point you should know when to retire. She has a career very nearly long enough to be officially retired; she has nothing more to get out of the sport, very nearly nothing more to put into it (other than offering her body to medical science). Look at Felicia Ballanger or Myriam Fox for examples that show the difference
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The only reason she missed the test was because she was taking a bath in the Fountain of Youth. And didn't want anyone else to know where it is.
  • mz__jo wrote:
    Tusher Quite frankly I couldn't care les if she is doped or not (even if I assume she is). It is not relevant. It does not change the fact that after a certain point you should know when to retire. She has a career very nearly long enough to be officially retired; she has nothing more to get out of the sport, very nearly nothing more to put into it (other than offering her body to medical science). Look at Felicia Ballanger or Myriam Fox for examples that show the difference

This makes no sense to me.

She's the reigning national champion.

Why would she retire? Just to let someone slower have a turn.

Nonsense.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mz__jo wrote:

Nonsense.

It is bad for the national image of the sport don't you think? That the best rider is over 50. It's bound to affect how seriously people take the sport.
  • mz__jo wrote:

Nonsense.

It is bad for the national image of the sport don't you think? That the best rider is over 50. It's bound to affect how seriously people take the sport.

So a national champion should retire because she's over 50.

Should Obree have eased up after 59 mins because he was on a home made bike?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Hmmn not sure what you are trying to say with Obree's bike, maybe you are missing my point. Let me put it this way, if Wiggins was pulling on the British champions jersey in 20years time would you be thinking 'Great stuff Brad, looked after yourself well..amazing' or 'Christ, how bad a state must British cycling be in?!' I know which one would be popping into my head.
  • Hmmn not sure what you are trying to say with Obree's bike, maybe you are missing my point. Let me put it this way, if Wiggins was pulling on the British champions jersey in 20years time would you be thinking 'Great stuff Brad, looked after yourself well..amazing' or 'Christ, how bad a state must British cycling be in?!' I know which one would be popping into my head.

But that would not be a reflection on Wiggins, just on the state of British Cycling?
    If JL still wins races, it's because the new challenges are not emerging. It is not down to her not stepping aside.
  • Does anyone else remember Reg Harris returning to track racing in this country? and winning! It exposed the threadbare state of British cycling in a stark fashion.

If you are the fastest cyclist and still competing, you have every right to carry on until someone turns up and beats you regularly. It's not about the bike, it is about how good you are.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460

Nonsense.

Have you considered why she might be faster than younger riders?
  • andyp wrote:

Nonsense.

Have you considered why she might be faster than younger riders?

But that's a different argument (despite being more on topic). I think it's pretty clear to all of us that there's an argument that she's winning because she's doping, whether or not you believe this to be so.

But the idea that someone should retire because they're a bit old and making people look bad is just preposterous.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French