Bike Signs

id2d
id2d Posts: 2
edited June 2017 in Road beginners
Hi

I'm absolutely new to bicycling and trying to figure out road signs before I go on the open road.

On a road near me there is a shared cycle path, then later it opens up with cycle lanes. Between these too parts these is an area where the road is narrow and the following sign:

http://i.imgur.com/ofDvh.jpg

Does this mean I'm supposed to cycle on the pavement here?
The official meaning of this sign "Recommended route for pedal cycles" isn't very helpful.
If it were I had a choice of routes then I'd know that's the route to take.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes. They are telling you to ride on the pavement there.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Buy a copy of the Highway Code. There's a whole bit about cyclists. In fact, I think there's a specific book available.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Paul057
    Paul057 Posts: 167
    Buy cycle craft. Best investment i've made for a while and will improve your knowledge no end
  • OFish
    OFish Posts: 1
    Hi,

I know it's an old post, but it came up first in a google search and, unfortunately, cougie's answer is not entirely true (well it might be true, but it is misleading as far as the law is concerned).

According to the brochure "know your traffic signs" available on gov.uk from the department of transport (google it), a rectangular blue sign with a white bicycle in it means:
    "Route recommended for pedal cycles on the main carriageway of a road. This may be marked as an advisory pedal cycle lane"
    So, the sign all by itself does not mean you are allowed to cycle on the pavement. Unfortunately, many "professional” drivers, police officers, and most likely city planners, do not know that either. So, by all means, if cycling on the road is too dangerous, I am the last one to tell you not to cycle on the pavement. Just be aware of the law (and especially courteous to pedestrians!)

Stay safe
    OFish