Stem advice

woodytitan
woodytitan Posts: 163
edited September 2011 in MTB beginners
Hey guys just looking for a bit of advice:

Been feeling a bit over the bars on descents and wondered whether shortening my stem may help my positioning, I ride a cannondale trail SL3 HT, not sure of the stem size (Where do you measure from/to??)but its cannondale stock. I ride mainly locally on short sharp trails with some nice flowing,fast downhill which is where i feel up and over the bar when i'm out of the seat but with the seat between my thighs for security.

Hope the info helps, all advice and opinon welcome as always.

Cheers.
'11 Cannondale Trail SL3

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Measure the stem from the centre bolt of the stem cap to the middle of the bars. That's the length. Then let us know!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I changed my 100mm to a 70mm and it made a big difference and well worth the money. But I do think stems are overpriced for what they are. Superstar ones are cheaper.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Making your stem shorter will increase stability going down, you may feel a little cramped in the cockpit if it's a nice fit at the moment.

Also worth considering it wider bars, depending on what you have atm.

I used to have 90mm stem and 710mm bars and changed to 70mm stem and 760mm bars makes a huge difference going down and cornering but it does make it harder on the up hills which is a compromise worth making imo.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Cheers guys, will measure tonight and post. My bars are stock C'dale @ 680mm. I suppose if I do look to change stem it would be rude not too look at bars too!

Cheers
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • 1mancity2
    Your not far from me Woody, maybe meet up one night and swap my stem over and I still have my 710 bars somewere that way you can get a feel for it before you splash your cash.
  • I might just do that matey, i'm not in any massive rush just noticed it more, the more i'm getting out on the bike etc. Could maybe meet at Gisburn one weekend, cheers for that.
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • 1mancity2
    Sounds like a plan
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    Making your stem shorter will increase stability going down, you may feel a little cramped in the cockpit if it's a nice fit at the moment.

Also worth considering it wider bars, depending on what you have atm.

I used to have 90mm stem and 710mm bars and changed to 70mm stem and 760mm bars makes a huge difference going down and cornering but it does make it harder on the up hills which is a compromise worth making imo.

Bike geometry just confuses the absolute hell out of me. But then again, I'm quite slow!
  • Measured the stem and it's 100mm, how much of a reduction do you think would help me feel more central in the cockpit, was thinking of going down to 70-80mm, nothing more drastic than that??
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    70mm at least. Or buy one or two cheaper ones on eBay, try them and sell what you don't use.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.