Standing on the pedals

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
I generally try to avoid spending too much time out of the saddle, though I can see why it works for some people to get the power down, and accept it's a matter of personal preference. However I see plenty of riders coming out of the saddle to slow down too. There they are, happily pootling along the road; traffic light goes red, out of the saddle they come, brakes on, bike slows and stops.

Why?

My brakes seem to work equally well regardless of whether or not I'm sitting down, and if I spend half the time standing up I can no longer brag to my train-commuting mates that I always get a seat.

I could maybe see that hanging off the back of the bike might allow you to brake harder without going over the handlebars, but these guys aren't stopping quickly, and aren't hanging over the back of the bike anyway. What's going on?
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• One word balance standing allows a more sensitive distribution of weight over a wide base (pedal to pedal width) it also allows for fore and aft weight movement.
  • Balance?
    Find that I can stop on my bike and hold it in position without unclipping/ putting my feet on the floor at traffic lights if I stand up...
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    edited September 2011
    Most of the braking force is over the front wheel. The bike slows the body moves forward anyway. Standing allows you more flex in the arms and knees to counter it. Try braking hard and staying in control without getting out the seat...
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Air-braking?

Can be fun to glide along on the pedals.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its a balance thing, its some thing that i do, not sure why but i just find that its more comfortable and easier to balance and not unclip,

I try and track stand and could never do this sitting down and its easier to get the power down when the lights turn green.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • It is an opportunity to allow blood to return to the testy sack.
  • If you are referring to coming off the saddle, and later one foot off the pedal, in the final stage of coming to a stop, then it is the correct way to stop.
    Reverse process for correct way to start.

If your saddle is at the correct height, you are unlikely to be able to stop dead while seated and have full balance. Heck, on my race bike I can't even touch the ground on tippi toes if I am seated.

I don't generally stand on the pedals when slowing down before stopping, but I simply slide forward off the saddle and then one foot off ready to stop.

And that's what I teach my son when it comes to starting and stopping.

Refer to Cyclecraft for further details as I am sure it is explained better there anyway.
  • I suspect most of the riders you are observing are riding fixies.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I do what DonDaddyD does, and stick my arse in the air so wind resistance slows me down.

Oh wait, no I don't.

:D
    Rules are for fools.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Habit.

On the MTB I tend to be out of the saddle when braking, because you can brake harder without going over the bars when your weight is shifted back, and cornering (which is usually why you're braking, off road) on loose or rough surfaces pretty much requires that you're out of the saddle unless you want to get thrown of the bike by bumps. Note that you don't necessarily need to shift your weight back to slow down, but it's a good idea to be ready to do so.

I rode off road a lot more than on road until I started commuting. The habits have stuck. I also hang off the back of the saddle when descending fast on the road bike and bunny hop potholes.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Balance. Try doing a trackstand on and off the saddle and notice which is easier.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited September 2011
    I stand up when approaching lights, feel more manoeuvrable and can track stand(ish) when I do stop.

Started of mountain biking, maybe a connection?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I do that.

It's more comfortable.

My position is quite stretched, so it gives me a little more control.

But I get out of the saddle a lot.
  • I do it now and then to give my perineum a well deserved break.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    To let blood flow back, stretch my back out a bit and probably thinking about it for balance too as I started out in mtb too and you get more control and it allows you to drop your heels to help brace against the braking with your legs as well as hands and arms
  • I stand on the pedals when slowing - the ladies prefer it that way. Who am I to deny them?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I stand on the pedals when slowing - the ladies prefer it that way. Who am I to deny them?

Two tickets to the seal show?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I find it allows me to alleviate the condition known as 'hungry arse'.

Airs the balls too.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3