new forks giant trance

Blue Parker
Blue Parker Posts: 37
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
thinking about changing my stock 120mm forks on a Giant Trance x5 to something bigger 140-160mm, what effect will this have other than changing the head angle and what will this mean out on the trail.
Any one done this or similar?
Trance x5
Trek 4500 (toddler chariot)

Comments

• bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    It will slightly change the geometry of the bike, but more importantly check that it won't invalidate the warranty. It'll also place extra stress on certain parts of the frame, which may be dangerous.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    140 should be fine quite a common change
  • See my X4 in my sig below - it's made a big difference, the new forks are so much smoother and the extra 30mm gives quite a bit of a confidence boost on the downs.

Go for it!!
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    General rule of thumb is too only increase travel by 20mm.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I did this on my Trance went for 140mm Rev, best kit change I have done by far.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Cheers guys, I have made a few mods too:
    Wheels Maxic 317s with XT hubs (replaced due to exit stage front in Swinley) - well done merlin for some good hoops
    New bars and stem Kyak (I think - atherton jobbies)
    Odi Ruffian grips- very good
    FSA carbon seatpost (with a whopping 1 inch drop due to bend in seat tube)
    Be-one very light saddle- quite comfy after a while
    Nobby nics front and rear - did not like the Kenda Surprise Nevagals - met with the floor a few times.
    Now got some xt shifters to fit and looking longingly at Xt brakes.
    Also switched for a 11-32 slx hub - saves a bit of wieght over the standard and I do not miss the 34t.

So anyone want to give me a 140mm set of forks for free - getting tricky hiding stuff up my shirt to get past her in doors...
    Trance x5
  • Meant to say mine is a Giant Trance x5 (2009)
    Trance x5
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    If you buy second hand make sure the sterrer is long enough as the larger trances have a long head tube