Leaky rear lights

sian_c
sian_c Posts: 101
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Hope you're enjoying cycling in the lovely 'summer' weather we're having at the moment....

I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a solution to a problem I seem to get with rear lights - they keep letting water in (despite being on my saddle bag & so only subjected to weather-related wetness). This causes them to malfunction - they switch themselves on & stay on permanently unless you take a battery out (not very practical). Oh, & of course you can't switch between the different flashing modes either.

This has happened to me with 2 different lights now, both of which I thought were pretty decent - the Blackburn Mars 3.0 and, more recently, the Smart Lunar R1. Surely a rear light for a bicycle should be able to withstand rain otherwise what's the point?!

Hope someone can help.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... =12799952&

Smart lights are notorious for this. Grease them up, wrap them or make sure you have mud guards.

Afraid that cheap and powerful lights are just that.
  • sian_c
    Fair enough, but what about Blackburn? I thought they were pretty decent?

What kind of price should you be looking to pay for a light that doesn't leak? I've seen a few reviews of Cateye lights where some users have experienced the same problem.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Do you use mudguards?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • red electrical tape around the seals?
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • Bathroom clear silicon seal works a treat and just peels off after use. I use it on lights, cleats etc. Perfect.
    Job done?
    Next?
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • sian_c
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Do you use mudguards?

On my previous commuter bike I had some 'strap on' mudguards which were a bit rubbish, but better than nowt. It was with that bike that I had the problem with my Blackburn light, but this was mounted at the back of my pannier rack so not sure how much protection the guards offered :?:

I'm "between" commuter bikes at the mo & so cycling on my carbon bike (sorry for the abuse, lovely shiny bike :shock: ) which has no mudguards. But that's only been over the "summer". My new commuter bike (coming next month) will have full, proper mudguards (& nice disc brakes so no more scary "I'm not stopping......!!!" moments! :D )