Pokerface - World Champ!

Comments

• Congratulations! I hope you're looking forward to the dirty looks from people who don't know you've earned the jersey! :lol:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    White Line wrote:
    Congratulations! I hope you're looking forward to the dirty looks from people who don't know you've earned the jersey! :lol:

I look forward to dirty looks and snide comments re: rainbow stripes for the next two years to come. I'm hoping that the carbon leg is a giveaway though. I think people locally will at least know who I am, etc!
  • Well done. D you need to buy the kit with the rainbow stripes on or do you get it free?

Dont want to sound like an idiot but how do the categories work? The Spanish guy seems to have both legs?
  • Pokerface
    Well done. D you need to buy the kit with the rainbow stripes on or do you get it free?

Dont want to sound like an idiot but how do the categories work? The Spanish guy seems to have both legs?

I have to buy all the new kit myself :?

The categories are based on relative ability. They do a series of tests to determine your overall 'score' and put you in a category based on the score.

The Spanish guy has severe cerebal palsy - so has limited muscle control of those two legs. The Italian has one leg, but it works perfectly. I have one real and one artificial leg, cycle with a prosthetic - but my 'good' leg has nerve damage and doesn't work correctly.

Based on testing we all end up in the same category.

For most people, it's a straight-forward thing - missing a hand/arm, etc - and you are C5. Missing a leg below knee, use a prosthetic, you are C4, etc.

It's ore complicated when injuries cross over or the rider has CP and you have to measure their relative ability.

But the 3 of us on the podium have traded victories all season, so we're relatively similar, despite looking a lot different!
  • That is fantastic. Congratulations.

P
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Well done! Not many Irish world champions about! I like the kit as well, better than some of the other Irish national kit, I would like to buy, but too much of the celtic knot /blarney stone stuff on them.
  • Seems bit harsh if you have to buy your own kit! Never mind though that's a fab performance and the ultimate reward I guess for all the years of hard work.
    Many congratulations
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Pokerface wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Well done Colin! Great stuff :D

Thanks Jeff. I'm down to ride the Rudy Project TT next weekend - so might see you there. I'm first off and you're close to the end - so might see you before your start (unless you get there early)
    Cool! Hopefully catch up then.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Bit late. Must check in here more often!
    Awesome result Colin, very very pleased for you!
  • Pokerface
    My review of my World Championships: http://637daystogo.blogspot.com/2011/09 ... makes.html
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    congratulations

real moment
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Congrats Colin, a truely amazing acheivement.

Your an inspiration to others mate.

James.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Wow - a world champ amongst us.

Many congratulations.
  • That's got to be the coolest profile pic on here. Well done.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    what a fantastic result ! congrats :D
  • Pokerface
    Got my first victory in the jersey today. OK - it wasn't a massive win, but a win nonetheless. Won the disability category in a Rudy Project TT>

Plus I got to meet Jeff Jones. Worth the drive alone that!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,863
    A win is a win - well done Colin
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Pokerface wrote:
    Got my first victory in the jersey today. OK - it wasn't a massive win, but a win nonetheless. Won the disability category in a Rudy Project TT>

Well done on yesterday Colin and good to meet you too. That course was a lot harder than I thought it would be!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Pokerface
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Well done on yesterday Colin and good to meet you too. That course was a lot harder than I thought it would be!

I can't imagine have to do two laps of the course. I was hurting bad enough after one! The heat was no help either.

Gave me the TT bug back though - shame my season is done. Bring on pursuiting!
  • Pokerface
    First trip out in rainbows. Will be MUCH better once I get some skin suits made up!

FirstRainbow.jpg
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Pokerface - a skinsuit isn't the only suit he owns!

Interview at Cycling Ireland champions night (courtesy of irishCycling.com)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • it still looks an epic photo Pokerface! :D

*jealous* :P
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Congrats Colin, just read this thread, I have been *away* (on Mars I think...)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The best thing about Colin being world champ was the ownage of that guy on the thread about Colin's bike. Where he says, very sarcastically, 'you'd have to be fast to get away with riding it, national level I'd say.'

Closely followed by Colin winning the worlds... :)

No ones heard from him since...

Edit- here it is!!

Do all the logos make up for a lack of anything? Like speed.

You gotta be good to ride a bike like that ... National Champ level, I'd say.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Congrats Colin, just read this thread, I have been *away* (on Mars I think...)

Me too - internet fell out in September before a house move, and only came back in the last couple of weeks.

Well done - and you dare turn up on a future spring fling in rainbow colours, and make us all feel like amatuers :wink:

I'm hoping some of the magic wears off, and your cosmics help me fly a bit...

Great news...
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    Was it you Colin who I saw ride the 10 at Chelford, Cheshire on 1 Jan 12 and did a short 25min in windy conditions?
  • napoleond
    It will have been. Him and Kev Walford rode it. I would have too but I'm on nights.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    You must be keen to even think about starting. It must have been Kev that did 24.54. They must never stop training to do those sort of times this time of year in this horrible weather.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Old Tuggo wrote:
    You must be keen to even think about starting. It must have been Kev that did 24.54. They must never stop training to do those sort of times this time of year in this horrible weather.
    Not if they are focussing on events coming up soon internationally and are in hard training for them. depends on individuals targets as to when they train.
  • napoleond
    Colin has just qualified as fastest and will be racing for gold in the pursuit in the track world champs in LA shortly :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach