Vuelta stage 18 *Spoiler*

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited September 2011 in Pro race
Still in Cantabria, still in the home region of Cobo, and a very lumpy stage, but nothing close enough to the finish to have an impact on the GC.

Although.... there's a big group well ahead (more than 7 minutes), with J-Rod and Kiserlovski. Still, they'd need 12 minutes just to get into the top 10.

MONTAGUTI Matteo (018), KOHLER Martin (032), SIJMENS Nico (046), OROZ UGALDE Juan Jose (055), RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin (081), GAVAZZI Francesco (099), DE GREEF Francis (122), KISERLOVSKI Robert (135), JUFRE POU Josep (139), MALACARNE Davide (147), VANDEWALLE Kristof (149), SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon (158), GUSTOV Volodymir (163), GENIEZ Alexandre (171), TIMMER Albert (176), HAUSSLER Heinrich (193) and PAULINHO Sergio Miguel Moreira (208).

The size of the break and ther advantage means the bonification seconds at intermediate sprints are gone18_perfil.gif

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Montaguti in the break? He's only 22 pts behind Moncoutié in the polkadot race with 29 available today.
  • FJS
    afx237vi wrote:
    Montaguti in the break? He's only 22 pts behind Moncoutié in the polkadot race with 29 available today.

Yep, and considering they have 10 minutes now, it looks like they might well last to the finish, ro at least the hill zone. Big job for Nico Sijmens
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    FJS wrote:
    The size of the break and ther advantage means the bonification seconds at intermediate sprints are gone
    Should Sky have kept the break in check to give Froome a chance of sprinting? Been fun to see both Sky & Geox leadouts for the sprint...
    Rich
  • afx237vi
    RichA wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    The size of the break and ther advantage means the bonification seconds at intermediate sprints are gone
    Should Sky have kept the break in check to give Froome a chance of sprinting? Been fun to see both Sky & Geox leadouts for the sprint...

For 101 km? Not strong enough.
  • FJS
    If there's a stage Sky could try something it's tomorrow, with both the intermediates better positioned and a very steep hill not far from the finish. Still very unlikely though. But well, with 13 seconds you gotta do something
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I think far from unlikely they won't try something tomorrow.

As said with 13 seconds you gotta to do something and keep pressure on Geox & Cobo.

Wiggo could go off the front into TT mode to pull some of the Geox after him. Break up their train and then let Froome attack on the last climb.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    I think far from unlikely they won't try something tomorrow.
    aarrgh. all those negatives hurt my head.

Sijmens just pinched the points off Montaguti at the top of Alto del Caracol.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    it's 15:38 CET and Eurosport is still showing the bloody snooker!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    aarrgh. all those negatives hurt my head.
    Unless it really isn't wrong that you aren't actually doing a PhD then I can't fail to think that you shouldn't have problems working them out.

Which reminds me of the linguistics lecturer who was going on about how in some languages, two negatives made a positive; in some languages, two negatives make a negative; but in no language do two positives make a negative.
    A glaswegian voice from the back row pipes up: "Aye, right!"
  • FJS
    Lead group thinned out on the 1st cat climb. Haussler, Sanchez and Gavazzi gone. Sijmens takes the points again ahead of Montaguti.

Does anyone have any of the breakaway riders for PTP?

Problems at Movistar - 3 riders abandoned yesterday, Madrazo today, and the rest riding round with tummy problems. Cuisine PDM?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    is nothing happening? is it not an interesting stage?
  • afx237vi
    FJS wrote:
    Lead group thinned out on the 1st cat climb. Haussler, Sanchez and Gavazzi gone. Sijmens takes the points again ahead of Montaguti.

Problems at Movistar - 3 riders abandoned yesterday, Madrazo today, and the rest riding round with tummy problems. Cuisine PDM?

Luis Sanchez, but I don't think he's in the break any more.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    MrTapir wrote:

It's the Vuelta.

It's not just the riders who run out of steam ;).
  • afx237vi
    Why the flip are Euskaltel chasing anyway?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    FJS wrote:
    Haussler, Sanchez and Gavazzi gone.

I've got LLS :roll:

Thought it would come down to him and Haussler for the sprint when I saw who was in the break #anotheronebitesthedust
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    There is quite a lot going on but no threats to the GC that is why the lack of info I guess.

Paulinho on his own at the top of the last climb with 26km to go.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • FJS
    edited September 2011
    MrTapir wrote:

It's the Vuelta.

You can easily skip that 'just'. ;) The riders are doing at least as much racing as in a similar stage in the Tour de France - you'd have 3 pages of discussion of a little breakaway that Poels and Nico Roche just tried, or Sijmens almost crashing in a descent, or Montaguti almost but not quite taking the polka jersey
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    edited September 2011
    MrTapir wrote:

It's the Vuelta.

oh yeah i know what you mean, after watching almost every single stage of the tour, some live (which meant that , with sky plus pausing i watched almost 6 or 7 hours of cycling a couple of times) i never wanted to see another bike race for ages. Watched last night's highlights which was good, great to see such a fantastic finish.

I'm relying on forumites for my Vuelta updates though! no pressure...

Edit: i didnt mean that last sentence to come across so desperate, oops. relying is not the right word
  • FJS
    afx237vi wrote:
    The breakaway has 12 minutes - Kiserlovski and J-Rod close to Nieve's top 10 GC place
  • afx237vi
    Eurosport should have realised this was going to be a boring stage and made a last-minute bid for the Giro di Padania instead. I love a good punch-up.
  • afx237vi
    FJS wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    The breakaway has 12 minutes - Kiserlovski and J-Rod close to Nieve's top 10 GC place

Wow, high stakes!

Almost as audacious as Roche's attempt to move up from 17th to 16th. I was on the edge of my seat for a minute there.
  • FJS
    Bronzie wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Thought it would come down to him and Haussler for the sprint when I saw who was in the break #anotheronebitesthedust
    LLS has just been caught back by the peloton - dropped from a break that has 12 minutes :shock: . Apparently he felt a bit ill this morning, but still ended up in the break :roll:
  • gabriel959
    Paulinho has got nearly a minut with less than 20km to go. Looks like a last hurrah for Radioshack?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    FJS wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    FJS wrote:

LLS has just been caught back by the peloton - dropped from a break that has 12 minutes :shock: . Apparently he felt a bit ill this morning, but still ended up in the break :roll:

That kinda stuff only happens when you ride for Rabo.
  • FJS
    Looks like they're bringing it back - Paulinho has just 11 seconds left
  • gabriel959
    Rodriguez is moaning minie! Everytime they show him he seems to be just doing that.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    Good finale!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • FJS
    Gavazzi takes it. Vandewalle 2nd, not riding very smart there
  • afx237vi
    Gavazzi ends up in a really scenic bit of Spain, there.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Gavazzi ends up in a really scenic bit of Spain, there.

Ha ha! Spain High Street as my mate who lived there used to disparagingly remark...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/