What Waterproof Cycling Gloves ? ...

shm_uk
shm_uk Posts: 683
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
... that are actually waterproof!

I'm after some cycling gloves that are primarily waterproof, but will also keep your hands warm through the winter...

Which should I look at?

Comments

• Santini 365 work for me:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31025

Get a bit sweaty inside and start to smell after a while but my hands didn't get cold or wet last year.
  • These work for me http://www.sealskinz.com/

Have used their socks out on the MTB too and never had a problem, glove are a bit big but on the road bike don't get in the way of brakes or shifters and have a none slip coating on the fingers/plam area.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • shm_uk wrote:
    ... that are actually waterproof!

I'm after some cycling gloves that are primarily waterproof, but will also keep your hands warm through the winter...

Which should I look at?

I am too. Saw a pair at Go Out Doors Wolverhampton. Look good but at £34 a pop they were just too expensive for me. Still looking...
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • It looks like the ones I saw at Go Out Doors were SealSkinz too but certainly more than £20!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1 wrote:
    am too. Saw a pair at Go Out Doors Wolverhampton. Look good but at £34 a pop they were just too expensive for me. Still looking...

When you say too expensive, do you mean that you cannot afford that much or that you don't want to pay that much? Being a motorcyclist I know that spending a few more pounds on the right winter kit can and will make a big difference and repay you in looking after you in bad weather. I am not going to try and tell you how to spend your money, but I would say if you can buy reputable wet weather gear.
  • Just bought some from Lidl for £3.99. Haven't tried them yet but they claim to be waterproof and look fine. Buy a couple of pairs and leave one at work.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Just bought some from Lidl for £3.99. Haven't tried them yet but they claim to be waterproof and look fine. Buy a couple of pairs and leave one at work.

I've got some of those, they're waterproof for about 30 seconds in a downpour. Generally good for 4 quid though.

Does anyone have any experience of the Altura Night Vision Waterproof winter gloves? Thinking about getting a pair of the bright yellow ones this year, I'd be interested in opinions...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • I'm sure Mr Plum is right about the effective waterproofness (is that a real word?) of cheap gloves. Like other waterproof cycling kit though, I suspect that gloves that were properly waterproof would get pretty clammy and smellly from sweaty hands unless it was really cold or you were riding leisurely.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I'm sure Mr Plum is right about the effective waterproofness (is that a real word?) of cheap gloves. Like other waterproof cycling kit though, I suspect that gloves that were properly waterproof would get pretty clammy and smellly from sweaty hands unless it was really cold or you were riding leisurely.

Yeah that's real world - used a pair for last winter. They were ok in all fairness but when it was really cold (anything around -3 ish or below) the tips of my fingers got painfully cold and I had to use a thin running glove as a liner as well. Take the waterproofness with a pinch of salt, they'll be ok in light drizzle but your hands will get wet in anything heavier.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    whitestar1 wrote:
    It looks like the ones I saw at Go Out Doors were SealSkinz too but certainly more than £20!

Sealskinz Ultra Grip gloves are currently only £14.99 at Evans Cycles (rrp £30)
  • Gloves are like jackets - if they keep the rain out, they'll keep the sweat in. Far better to go for "Windproof" (Windstopper or similar) that has water resistance but breathe and, if they do get wet, keep you warm but, just as important, will dry out. I bought Sealskinz waterproof gloves - not only did they make my hand clammy in the dry, they leaked like sieves and were almost impossible to dry out between rides. Total rubbish.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    shm_uk wrote:
    whitestar1 wrote:
    It looks like the ones I saw at Go Out Doors were SealSkinz too but certainly more than £20!

Sealskinz Ultra Grip gloves are currently only £14.99 at Evans Cycles (rrp £30)

Sealskinz MTB gloves currently on sale at Go Outdoors
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sealskinz-mens-mountain-bike-gloves-p130656
  • PBo wrote:
    Sealskinz MTB gloves currently on sale at Go Outdoors
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sealskinz-mens-mountain-bike-gloves-p130656

Exactly the ones I bought - total & utter rubbish. I'd arrive at work and literally wring them out - and, even after a day on the rad, they'd still be damp. It's almost as if the waterproof capabilities were inside out...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • They're way out of your price range (I don't hold out much hope for a properly waterproof pair of gloves that are usable for under £35), but I splurged on the Assos glove kit with the three pairs. The lobstershells look pretty waterproof under the tap... not cold enough to test yet though.
  • They're way out of your price range (I don't hold out much hope for a properly waterproof pair of gloves that are usable for under £35), but I splurged on the Assos glove kit with the three pairs. The lobstershells look pretty waterproof under the tap... not cold enough to test yet though.

They're fabulous. After wasting my money on the Sealskinz, I picked up the Early Winter middle and Lobster outer, separately, on eBay at a good price. I use a Gore Running inner that I had - good down to at least -11C. The middles are water-resistant and comfortable and keep hands warm when damp. I only wear the Lobsters when close to freezing or below when it tends not to rain much. They have kept my hands dry when it has rained.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Gloves are like jackets - if they keep the rain out, they'll keep the sweat in. Far better to go for "Windproof" (Windstopper or similar) that has water resistance but breathe and, if they do get wet, keep you warm but, just as important, will dry out. I bought Sealskinz waterproof gloves - not only did they make my hand clammy in the dry, they leaked like sieves and were almost impossible to dry out between rides. Total rubbish.

+1
    But gloves are worse in the clamminess stakes because your hands are really sealed in there. I'd bet that 99% of the waterproof gloves that appear to be failing are still waterproof, it's just sweat and stuff coming in down the arms.

I've got some waterproof/insulated hillwalking gloves, and I find that if I wear them too long when it starts to warm up they get pretty moist inside even if it's not raining-I couldn't imagine cycling in them. Like meanredspider, I just go for windproof for cycling.
  • Searching for the illusive perfect winter glove is like searching for the perfect wheelset, or in other words like searching for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

As an aside - remember that for anything to be waterproof it must first be tested and is then rated, (in columns of water). 1,000 is the minimum rating, (which is the Lidl gloves), where-as Gore-tex and Event fabrics are rated at 30,000.

Totally agree about the Sealskins - Avoid them.
    Around 7 years ago I had a pair of Altura winter gloves which I loved, eventually the threading went and when I needed a replacement, Altura no longer made them. Though I notice that their Night Vision winter gloves look remarkably similar.

So I went down the slighly more expensive route of Gore Bike Wear and I can't recommend them highly enough.
    I generally wear their Alp-X windstopper gloves which fit really well, keep your hands warm down to temperatures around zero degrees and although not waterproof will keep out a surprising amount of water, best of all you don't get the clammy hands with them. Coming from the North of Scotland, in mid-winter I resort to their Cross Gore-tex gloves. These fit very well, keep your fingers warm, are completely waterproof , but you do get clammy hands.
    I've seen great reports on the Pearl Izumi Barrier gloves, they are full winter gloves.

So there's some suggestions happy hunting and if you find that pot of gold let us know.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I'm a fan of Gore gloves. Cycle Surgery have some Gore winter gloves on offer for the small of hand: http://www.cyclesurgery.com/gore-mens-c ... duct/21315

As pointed out before, though, fully waterproof gloves are only any good for short journeys and/or when it's freezing.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • I bought Sealskinz waterproof gloves - not only did they make my hand clammy in the dry, they leaked like sieves and were almost impossible to dry out between rides. Total rubbish.

I agree. Looking for a new winter glove.
  • Keith1983 wrote:
    When you say too expensive, do you mean that you cannot afford that much or that you don't want to pay that much? Being a motorcyclist I know that spending a few more pounds on the right winter kit can and will make a big difference and repay you in looking after you in bad weather. I am not going to try and tell you how to spend your money, but I would say if you can buy reputable wet weather gear.

Don't want to spend more than £20 mate but based on what I am seeing here I will have to increase the budget to £30 or there abouts.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • I ended up using a pair of ski gloves last winter, £15 from tk maxx & they were superb if a tad bulky. Very breathable with a little vent totally waterproof and warm as toast way below zero
  • I had the chance to be in Leisure lakes bikes Wolverhampton today. Looked at the Seal Skinz and Endura gloves.
    I like the Endura gloves the Deluge
    12EnduraDeluge.jpg

And the Strike
    12EnduraStriker.jpg
    I like both of them, cant decide which, any comments?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Ron Thompson neoprene fishing gloves, they are completely waterproof no matter how much it rains and they are bloody warm too
  • Fishing gloves are a tenner, do you want comfort or a 'name'?
  • gareth1234 wrote:
    Ron Thompson neoprene fishing gloves, they are completely waterproof no matter how much it rains and they are bloody warm too

Neoprene gloves make my hands sweat horribly. Also need to be really careful where the seams sit too. As I wrote above, anything that keeps the water out tends to keep the water in.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    AidanR wrote:
    I'm a fan of Gore gloves. Cycle Surgery have some Gore winter gloves on offer for the small of hand: http://www.cyclesurgery.com/gore-mens-c ... duct/21315

As pointed out before, though, fully waterproof gloves are only any good for short journeys and/or when it's freezing.
    Another vote for Gore. I'd previously had some Altura Night Vision ones and they were OK for about 10 mins of rain and then leaked after that. The Gore ones have been great, only let down by the large hole where your hand goes in. Even with my jacket taped over the gloves (yes, I've made the mistake of running with them under the gloves before), eventually water seeps through my jacket, down my wrist and into the gloves. I think that means I need a new jacket, doedn't it?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    whitestar1 wrote:
    I had the chance to be in Leisure lakes bikes Wolverhampton today. Looked at the Seal Skinz and Endura gloves.
    I like the Endura gloves the Deluge
    12EnduraDeluge.jpg

And the Strike
    12EnduraStriker.jpg
    I like both of them, cant decide which, any comments?

I've got a pair of the Strikes. Warm, and reasonably waterproof, but won't resist a sustained downpour. The one downside is their short length, you dont get much overlap with a jacket, and as such will get water sneaking onto your sleeve and then into the glove. The deluge looks a bit more sorted in that area.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I've got a pair of Endura Strikes, too.

Don't seem to be totally waterproof, but definitely warm. Even soaked through on a long ride in the snow I didn't get cold hands.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I got my Pearl Izumis today. They look and feel very nice indeed, quite looking forward to wearing them for real.