NIPPLES?

spodomodo
spodomodo Posts: 48
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
That got your attention!

I want to buy some spokes but don't know what length and what nip size. I run Mavic XC 717s 26" - I think Mavic specify 12mm nips but the spokes I've seen on the web are 14mm - does it matter?

Also the range of length of spokes seems to go between 248mm and 262mm in 2mm intervals. I know how to measure a spoke but with a kids plastic ruler I'm not convinced I'm gonna get it right to within 2mm.

So basically does any one know what length of spokes do I need for XC717 rear wheel, drive and non-drive side and how big should the nipples be?

Cheers

S

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to input the data into a wheel calculator.

But measuring existing ones is the best way usually. Either nipple is fine - 2mm extra nipple needs 1mm extra spoke length.

Can I ask why you need new spokes?
  • My rims are ageing a bit - to be frank I'm delaying the day when I need to replace my rear one - every 3 or 4 rides I seem to be busting a spoke and I wanna replace them myself rather than the LBS. Possibly the XC717s aren't really up to the type of riding I'm doing now - thinking of getting Stan's Flow s but in the meantime I wanna fix me spokes.

Is there a wheel calculator on line I could use?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are, but you need to know the dimensions of your hubs and rims.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

Some are listed though.
  • Nice one Supersonic - I'll give it a whirl.

S
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    If spokes are busting like that it means there wasnt enough tension in the wheel and they are flexing each revolution and fatigue fracturing at the L bend. Badly built wheel or you have done many thousands of miles on it
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!