Best fast commuting / training bike.

Spikedhope
Spikedhope Posts: 144
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Hello all.
I've got an old Gary Fisher Utopia bike which I use for winter training and commuting. Its not the lightest of bikes, but it handles well and its fast.

But, I bought it in 1996....and I fancy something new.

But what?

I don't need suspension.
I would like to have 26" wheels.

Its appears a tall order.....can anyone help suggest .

I hope to hear from you!!

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    If you're riding on roads only then have a look at a few road bikes - Try and have a go on a proper road bike with 700c wheels, you'll definitely notice the difference.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Kinesis TK2 is a decent winter training bike but not the only one. It can take 700cx28mm tyres which are good for dark winter nights.
    The only road bikes using 26" wheel are expedition tourers.
    If you want something odd, you will have to build it yourself.
  • Well, I have 4 bikes.....inc, 2 road bikes. The reason for wanting 26" wheels is that I live in Sweden and in winter (snow and ice) with studded tires, I feel happier with 26" rather than 700c wheels. You just feel like you have more control.

Hence,....I'm still looking for a speedy 26" bike, with a fixed fork.

So...any suggestion??
  • Surly Long Haul Trucker with 26" wheels?

BK6750_1.jpg
  • ...lovely. Very nice. Would put a straight bar on it though.

Sadly..as much as I like it.....its too expensive.

Any other suggestions??

I can't believe its such a tall order!!
  • Cannondale Bad Boy?

cannondale-bad-boy-disc-2010-hybrid-bike.jpg
  • One of the On One mountain bike frames with one of their rigid forks. You could get a hub gear to save dérailleur maintenance too.
  • I do like the bad boy...but I'm having trouble locating one!

Canondale make several BB...and I can't find a good retailer having them all.

Any suggestions?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Carrera Subway, Halfords marking down bikes at the moment I think. Will do the job althouh not a very glamorous option!
  • I would imagine any disc based hybrid with 700c wheels would allow for a very straight forward swap with 26" MTB disc wheels & tyres. I have done this myself in a roundabout sort of way (my hybrid was not disc compatible but used a new fork and adapter at the rear).

A set of 26" wheels with disc hubs & rotors would add a small(ish) additional cost though.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Well, as its proving tough....I might have to go for a larger wheel size..
    This is looking nice...but, for some reason it doesn't look like this version was available on the uk market??

http://www.tcmcykel.se/specialized-sirr ... c-171.aspx