Bike mechanic wanted

thestoker
thestoker Posts: 3
edited October 2011 in The workshop
Hi everyone,

Really need to speak to a friendly experienced bike mechanic. I am researching a new business idea. Would be quite happy to pay for time. Please get in touch and we can swap email addresses

Thanks
thestoker

Comments

• Personally I think the question is quite moot!

And I only answered like that because I am a massive fan of Curb - if you're not then I guess my answer is schwag!

Anyway - I am voting every 3 months.

But I have a mobile mechanic that is excellent, obviously he comes to me at mutually convienent times and I think he offers an excellent service and his prices are so much better than my LBS or even my local repair centres.

He gives me really decent free advice and as he doesn't have the overheads of a shop, and realises that I have used the Internet and am quite a canny shopper, doesn't try flogging me loads of overpriced sub standard parts.

I check my tyres and brakes before every ride. I also keep my bike reasonable clean and well lubed.

I usually get him out when I have something I can't do myself. Like trueing a wheel or fitting a new derailleur.

Having said that.... I still probably spend over £100 a year on him - which doesn't include any parts, and he now maintains two of my bikes - which is still a hell of a lot less than my LBS would charge. And I find their actual "service" shite! Drop your bike in and we will get in contact with you sometime in the next week when you can pick it up - or get someone out who will fix it there and then, and if he can't take it away and drop it back at a convienient time!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's an ongoing thing - when parts need sorting or replacing they get sorted.
    Lubing can be really often depending on the weather, BB may last years.
    DIY.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    As & when, as & when. Summer is different to winter; spring & autumn are too. Do it just before it wants doing, not on some arbitrary time gap. :)