Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2012

diddyfunk
diddyfunk Posts: 252
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Hi Guys

Looking for a new trail bike so after some advice but also got some techy questions also: -

Have found the new Spec Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2012 (link below).

What do people think of it? I have been advised to go for 140mm travel upwards. Any other suggestions?

I want to do more longer rides (70 miles) / trail centre / foreign holidays etc.

I have noticed that this is an 'open bath' fork. I know that Fox now do the 'FIT' damping and wondered what the difference is and if im going to be spending decent money, is it worth going for an older technology (tried & tested)?

Also, the fork says 'Air Spring', does this mean that it is an air fork that also has a spring coil in it?

What do people think of the 2x10 speed setup - do you end up losing much if I were to go on the road with it (short distances) as there is no big ring up front?

I know a lot of questions but any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.cyclesuk.com/product/Stumpjumper_FSR_Comp_2012_9323-4203-1
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No UK tests yet. Fairly expensive for the spec, but most bikes are this year.

FIT is a lighter, cartridge damper.

Air is the spring - no coils in there.

2x10 comes in many combos. 38/24 specced here loses the very highest gear or two.
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I'd highly recommend the Stumpy FSR but I dont like the colour scheme of the 2011 model.

Much prefer my black/silver one, however the 2012 looks yummy and the spec aint bad, comes with the new Triad with autosag which looked interesting.
  • interesting point re the 2011 model.

Only main difference is the 2011 has a Rockshox fork and the 2012 has Fox and the rear shock for 2012 has an autosag function.

What do peeps think?
  • I would look at the Stumpjumper Elite 2011, £100 cheaper, much better spec, fox forks and brain and looks good in black and white.

if you can find one at a specialized concept store they are offering 2 years interest free credit.

Chris
  • x3man
    x3man Posts: 85
    Seems very expensive considering what I paid for my 2010 model. The only change I can see that I would like is the tapered head tube.

Like others I'd recommend looking at last years models.
  • I have had a look at the 2011 Elite but dont like the idea of the brain on the rear.

just dont know how the rockshox Fork compares to the Fox one on the 2012?

I have been told that Fox tracks the trail better but costs more to service?

Thanks
  • Whats wrong with the brain rear shock? I have ridden quite a few rear shocks but the brain is the best in my books, it is totally tunable to be either an xc shock, or if you do more freeride and downhill like me, it can do that just as easy. seems reliable too, 1.5 years so far and all I have done is adjust the air pressure once.
    Custom 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Pro AM
    Custom 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro SL2
  • Cant fall off with the Stumpy, brilliant xc/trail bike. Just replaced my 08 Comp for a custom built 2011 S-works.

The rear brain is excellent, I can easily tune it for endurance/xc racing or set it up for some good freeride and trail fun. Not to fussed on the front brain on the Future Shock forks, great for racing but a little to flexible for my liking. Had a set of 140 Fox Talas RLC's (fit) fitted to my 08 stumpy and they were excellent. But the original forks which were 120mm Rl Floats did a great job to.

The after sales and service with Spesh is 2nd to none, any problems they sort it asap, no quibbles. Also lifetime warrenty on frame for original owner.
  • I was thinking of the stumpy but personally found it heavy.
    I then tried a Trek Fuel EX8 which found was lighter and for the money a better deal.
    But then the 2012 model is supposed to be better with new fork and XT all round and 100 quid cheaper on RRP.
  • I was looking at the Treks but didnt know how mounting the shock vertically effected the bike with the additional pivot point - more to go wrong?

Also, what are people opinions of multi travel forks like the Fox Talas - more to go wrong or not?

Thanks
  • Briggo
    Fuel ex is lighter than the Stumpy? Really? I'd think they were about the same if not the Stump was lighter, around 28lbs stock arnt they?

Personally if I had the money I'd go for the 2012 version, yes the 2011 is 600 cheaper but 1. I prefer fox forks 2. you get tapered tube 3. colour scheme is far better and the new smoother curvy tubing looks better imo 4. new technology to wooo your mates with like the autosag.
  • diddyfunk wrote:
    I was looking at the Treks but didnt know how mounting the shock vertically effected the bike with the additional pivot point - more to go wrong?

Also, what are people opinions of multi travel forks like the Fox Talas - more to go wrong or not?

Thanks

Most companies travel adjusts are quite good, with the exception of marzocchi. Had the ATA on my 55's go wrong about 3 times, all requiring to be sent off. Father in law has some Fox Forx, and they are superb.
  • Any more help would be appreciated if possible guys?
  • I have found this new 2012 cube.

What do peeps think?

Looks to be a more racy riding position over the Specialized - is this good or bad (as I wan the bike for all mountain / trail use)?

http://www.freeflowbikes.com/2012-cube-ams-130-sl.html

Thanks
  • Phew! £2,300!! :shock:

Makes me realise just what a bargain I had when I bought my 09 Stumpy for £1,300 :lol:

Whilst the 2012 model will obviously be good, does the Autosag feature, tapered head tube, extra 20mm travel really mean an extra £1,000?

I think not......
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact
  • Welcome to parts prices and material prices going up, giving companies no choice but to bump up prices.
  • Briggo
    Was the 09 Stumpy at £1300 full RRP? Because the 10 version was £1799 RRP (I paid £1400 for mine just after they were released thanks to some generous discount after a cockup on a website).
  • No, the RRP at the time (May 2009) was £1599. I managed to negotiate a discount of around 15% making the bike £1330. This was without any finance, etc just by using a credit card.

Deals are there to be had depending on how savvy you are when negotiating. Contrary to popular belief, margins for bikes are generally good depending on how much stock the shop takes/sells.

Don`t believe there is no money in bikes, it just isn`t true.

Briggo - great deal! £1,400 is certainly a healthy discount and the bike shop/web store will still make a healthy margin so everyones a winner :D
  • Briggo
    So £1000 difference between the 09 and 12 model isn't correct. You can't compare your discount price to a full blown RRP price as what if you could get the 2012 version with discount.

Due to the price increase if you can get the same % discount you'll save more...

So with a 15% discount, the difference between yours and the new one is £655 which I personally think is worth it.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    You could also look at this if you're looking at Cubes;

http://www2.cube.eu/en/full/hpa/stereo-pro/
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I am waiting on a new stumpy carbon. Look seriously good this year, 142+ back end, 2*10 drivetrain, fox fork and autosag. Colour looks good as well.
  • Briggo - you are obviously mad in thinking the 12 model is worth an extra £655 over my 09 model. This is assuming you can get 15% discount as I did which I very much doubt you would until the 12 model is nearing the end of its guise and the 13 model is due out shortly after.

You will probably get 10% by paying with a card (I tried several shops earlier today and 2 wouldn`t discount at all and only one offered 10% after some negotiation)!

So theoretically the difference is more like £740 which is definitely NOT worth paying extra for as the differences in spec just don`t justify it :wink:

But as with everything else on here; 80% opinion and 20% fact :lol:
  • Briggo
    What on earth are you on about, if you're going to compare specs etc and how the value of bikes has increased which is what you were on about then you have to compare like for like so you either compare RRP or the same discount amounts.

Not your opinion on how much discount should be applied, thats irrelevant.
  • You really have lost the plot!

Even comparing like for like RRP the difference would be £700 (£2300 - £1600 = £700).

Originally I was merely stating my amazement at the RRP of the latest incarnation of the Stumpy and what you are getting for the money. I did state I got a discount which may be irrelevant but the difference still stands at around £700 which in my opinion is not justified regardless of parts prices increasing, etc.

For the money there are better specced bikes out there so it then comes down to ones opinion of why bike A is better than bike B and the reasons for that.

Mine remains that £700 difference is not justified for what amounts to an auto sag feature, extra 20mm travel and a chain device.

If you don`t understand now, I suggest you seek help!!
  • Briggo
    No, you didnt state you had a discount, you stated that after I questioned your ridiculous "oh wow its gone up £1000? Thats crazy man woah woo, but I did get a discount but I'll ignore that and compare RRP to a discounted price"

Look at the majority of other bike manufacturers and you'll notice similar price increases over the last 2 years, I do believe Treks Fuel ex similarly priced model increased the same? (again see what I did there, I compared as close as I could for like for like)

Yes there may be better spec'd bikes with the likes of Canyon but theres so many other factors you have to look at other than a spec and thats not even including the feel of the ride.

Lifetime warranty, UK concept stores, sold through a ridiculous amount of LBS's so easy to get hold and ride etc.

It all depends on what you want and for the extra services you have to pay sometimes.

Additionally things continually go up in price, its called inflation, material cost increases, recessions, oil price increases, world disasters etc etc etc, it sucks but if people didn't want too or couldn't afford that price they wouldn't sell but they are.

Also factor in that this sport is growing at a ridiculously fast rate, supply and demand, look at waiting times for some bikes/frames.
  • Just get a life :evil: