Flats with bike storage - do they exist?

shmo
shmo Posts: 321
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
Current looking for flats/small houses/maisonettes in High Wycombe as I'm starting a new job there in a few weeks. Most of the places in my price range (<£800) are 1 or 2 bed flats with communal entrances with no provision for bike storage. The few I've seen that have private entrances and storage areas are already taken or unavailable for some reason or another.

Starting to wonder if this country is backwards or something. A lot of these places are brand new build apartment blocks, how hard would it be to accommodate people with bikes? I asked an estate agent for suitable properties and she suggested that I chain my bike to the railings outside. I'm not overly precious about my bikes but there no way I'm doing that. Also the idea of carrying dirty, dripping bikes through carpeted communal areas seems less than ideal.

Previous flat was ground floor with its own front door, kept bikes in the hallway. Current place is a coach house with a garage, perfect for storing bikes. Seems these types of properties are rare and I'm really struggling to find anything like this now.

Rant over.

Comments

• Wash them and then carry them through?

Though surely if the places you are looking at dont suit your needs, why would you move into them in the first place? :?
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    Nairnster wrote:
    Wash them and then carry them through?

Though surely if the places you are looking at dont suit your needs, why would you move into them in the first place? :?

I would probably do that too.
    Justice for the 96
  • My mate lives on land in North London which was until very recently used for Devil worshiping and that apparently has secure bike parking.
  • My girlfriend's new-ish flat in Durham has a lovely lockable bike shed. She also has her own wheelbarrow in there, what a catch she is!
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    you need a balcony on the 2nd floor or above

tarpalin and bungee cord to keep the water off
  • My girlfriend's new-ish flat in Durham has a lovely lockable bike shed. She also has her own wheelbarrow in there, what a catch she is!

Does she use the wheelbarrow to get you home from the pub? If so she certainly does seem to be a catch.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Most planning apploications in Bristol have to include provision for cycle storage.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited September 2011
    For storage ideas for flats without proper bike facilities, check out page 38
    of the i today, Fri 9 Sep.
  • here in Stockholm most blocks of flats at least have a courtyard or covered outdoor space. My current block has a bike storage room. I think most blocks have a storage room in the basement for each flat so that would be where you keep your nice bike. But then the standard of flats seems higher here so its just 'normal'. And everything is really expensive. (Sorry - not much use for High Wycombe).
  • You need a Victorian(ish) ground floor maisonette (ie purpose built, not a conversion). They then have a wacking great big understairs cupboard where the stairs go up to the upstairs flat. My current one holds up to 7 bikes. The previous one I could get 4 into.