Do you ride wearing your Rolex ?

AndyManc
AndyManc Posts: 1,393
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1458055_doctor-out-cycling-in-benchill-bitten-and-robbed-by-thugs-who-stole-rolex-watch-and-tag-heuer-sunglasses

I get threatened (verbal) regularly in that area.

I know the local bike cops so I might suggest they take a ride with me (cops in plain clothes) and I'll take them to the hot spots, could make good use of my headcam videoing the results :)

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
URBAN_MANC.png

Comments

• I do not wear a watch :shock:

I f i want to know the time i can look at my phone , which is so cheap the thugs would probably give me theirs .Mind you it is in the pannier bag .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • AndyManc
    Watches are going out of fashion, I also don't wear one.

Bit of a strange story this one, the local scum must have stopped him because he was wearing cycling gear, team kit etc.

I've been shouted at by the local cretins for wearing a helmet and using a light.

It's getting worse in Manchester, street robberies and attacks being reported in unprecedented numbers.

Lets be careful out there.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    AndyManc wrote:

Reminds me of the Douglas Adams quote about people who still thought digital watches cool - or here people who still think not wearing a watch is cool! Actually, not that fashion is worth anything, I get the impression that watches are more fashionable than they have been in recent years. Certainly, a quality watch can be a thing of beauty; a mobile phone can only ever be an ugly thing of utility.

I wouldn't wear a good one on the bike........and I doubt I'd put up a strong fight to keep my £15 Casio!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • AndyManc
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?

Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.

Hotel Clerk: I'm going to have to say goodnight, so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1weV3YBm6s

URBAN_MANC.png
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Rolf F wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

Reminds me of the Douglas Adams quote about people who still thought digital watches cool - or here people who still think not wearing a watch is cool! Actually, not that fashion is worth anything, I get the impression that watches are more fashionable than they have been in recent years. Certainly, a quality watch can be a thing of beauty; a mobile phone can only ever be an ugly thing of utility.

I wouldn't wear a good one on the bike........and I doubt I'd put up a strong fight to keep my £15 Casio!!

I too wear a £15 digital - Timex ironman which is also water resistant, so after a long ride I keep it on in the shower and it stops the strap getting smelly!

An iphone IS a thing of beauty! :wink:
  • I sometimes wear a £2k, Tag but never when cycling. One because it has a leather strap that STINKS when it gets sweaty, and two because if I came off, I'd probably do it some damage, sapphire glass or not.

I wear a £10 casio when cycling sometimes; or just use my bike computer to tell the time.
  • Barely ever wear a watch on bike or off. I'm also not seeing unprecedented levels of abuse in Manchester.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    haven't worn a watch in about 20 years, stems from originally being in construction where it was dangerous to wear one
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    PBo wrote:
    An iphone IS a thing of beauty! :wink:

No it isn't! It is a piece of disposable tat in a bland but not unattractive case. In five years time it will have been in the bin for three and a half years. Excessive built in obsolesence means it is evil at heart......... :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I realised after my last 2 long road rides that I wear my 1K tag all the time, and it leaves a big black mark on my wrist where clearly the salty sweat corrodes the strap. Don't really like to take it off if im honest!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i wear my animal watch basically every day it has a nylon velcro strap so you can scrub it to sop it smelling minty. i think ive had the watch since 1996 :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    I have a small collection of mighty fine watches but never wear any other when doing sport of any kind.