I feel like a fraud....

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
...as yesterday for the third time this year I commuted by train. All other days have been by bike.

Biblical downpour as I was getting up and a lack of shirts in my locker at work led me to get public transport. Totally regretted it as I drove to the station and saw a fellow cyclist make his way through the puddles.

Ah well, train delays and busy stations are a great reminder that I will not slip again this year..... well, while I still have a job! :shock:
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    MTFU!

A bit of wind...

I drove in yesterday
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    ...as yesterday for the third time this year I commuted by train. All other days have been by bike.

I thought I was doing well myself, with 8 non-cycle commutes in 2011.
    Wow, you beat me by a good distance. Well done.
  • joelsim
    I don't know how you guys manage it. I cycle as much as I can, which averages at about 3 times per week, but in the last 2 weeks work has meant I have needed a car, or my son has needed picking up or whatever meaning I have only ridden once! Horrible.

Tomorrow and Friday, however...
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Slacker !
  • Ended up being slagged by most of the people who originally said I was mad commuting in all weathers... "lightweight", "woos" and a few other worse things.....

Might need to go home the long way tonight....... 8)
  • joelsim
    I bet you have a hot water bottle in bed too don't you? And slippers.
  • Pep
    Joelsim wrote:
    I don't know how you guys manage it. I cycle as much as I can, which averages at about 3 times per week, but in the last 2 weeks work has meant I have needed a car, or my son has needed picking up or whatever meaning I have only ridden once! Horrible.

I can only speak for me.
    My family is wife and baby, both stay home. Shortest commute is 7miles each way. Luxury of flexi time. And either a fast road (but much traffic, though safe as wide road and no junctions), or pleasant off-traffic country bike lane (no car=safe in the dark).
    I do triathlon, so cycling commute goes down well.
    I'm young.
    I'm on a VERY TIGHT BUDGET, so cycling save money.
    I'm obsessed with eco and green stuff (I know many don't like this, never mind...)
    Here in the south whether is dry and warm (why do you Brit always say the opposite?).
  • Pep
    Pep wrote:

I thought I was doing well myself, with 8 non-cycle commutes in 2011.

It would be interesting to see a survey of how many cycle vs non-cycle commutes people in the forum do during the year.

I'm at 8 non-cycle commutes in 2011.
  • Pep wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I can only speak for me.
    My family is wife and baby, both stay home. Shortest commute is 7miles each way. Luxury of flexi time. And either a fast road (but much traffic, though safe as wide road and no junctions), or pleasant off-traffic country bike lane (no car=safe in the dark).
    I do triathlon, so cycling commute goes down well.
    I'm young.
    I'm on a VERY TIGHT BUDGET, so cycling save money.
    I'm obsessed with eco and green stuff (I know many don't like this, never mind...)
    Here in the south whether is dry and warm (why do you Brit always say the opposite?).

no family, shortest commute is 7.7 miles, busy road, no flexitime, not sporty, old, stinking rich, live in cold wet place in the north. 8) 8)

(not all the above necessarily true!)
  • joelsim
    Eco is good.

I don't see commuting by bike as saving any money though. It was approx £250 per month by train. I've spent all that on kit. And more. However, by Christmas I will be in profit I imagine. Not the cost of the bike either as that is only £40 per month on C2W. I just can't keep my browser from straying onto cycle shop websites. Grrr.
  • I think I'm still in single-figures: only twice have been wuss-outs, both in the weeks preceding sportives, the rest have been work night's out where riding home would have been inadvisable. :D

I rode yesterday, though. Wallace, MTFU!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I only started commuting after the 2nd May bank holiday - and have only taken 5 days of the bike - one of those was the first friday when I started, cos my body was shattered and the other 4 days were after cracking a rib after a stag do!

I felt horrible getting the tube and never want to put myself through that again!

I plan to commute every day unless injured or not working at my normal office.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • [quote="Joelsim"I don't see commuting by bike as saving any money though. It was approx £250 per month by train. I've spent all that on kit. And more.[/quote]

Same for me initially, ditched the second car and saved a bucket on insurance etc. However spent the savings and more on countless accessories, packs, parts etc. but I love it. The days I get the commuter train, or drive I always wish I was on the bike. Especially when I see other folks braving the elements, all seasons.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I do about 15 miles each way, doing that every day would be doable for a 'one-off' week. but after a 150 mile week (did it back in July) I was definitely glad to have a few days in the car. Plus if I'm knackered from commuting I won't enjoy MTBing as much.

I sometimes need the car for work, or if I'm doing something after work that requiers me not to be a sweaty mess, so doing it every day wouldn't be possible anyway, I've probably averaged 3 commutes per week over the summer.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    No option, sold the car, live in the sticks (no public transport). So its by bike or stay at home.

10 miles each way four days a week, Thursday is a rest day. I must admit sometimes if I have had a long ride on the Sunday (50+ miles) by the Wednesday morning the legs can be a little tired. The odd thing is that by Wed evening for the trip home I can push hard again.

I gauged my saving on selling the car art around £1600 a year just on fuel and running costs at £1 litre price mark. Still don't have the cash to spend on bike bits though!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I haven't kept count but its not very many. yesterday I dug out waterproof trousers for the 1st time, although didn't need them for the trip home as managed to time it between the showers
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • My cycle commute is 20 miles each way.

Holidays aside, I think I’ve only two driving days this year so far.

First one. Friday May 27th. Drove to work and left car in car park for weekend – I was off to do the Grand Union Canal Race (running) that evening.

Second one. Tues May 31st. Drove to outskirts of York and walked c1.5 miles to the office. And back. My excuse? I’d run 100 miles over the weekend and my legs were frankly rather tired. Back on the bike the next day though.

Other than this, it’s been cycling (or running) every day. Even on the day after marathon / ultramarathon.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I sold our second car and sold my motorbike to make myself cycle to work. I replaced the motorbike with an old Triumph that needs restoring to keep that pot alive without having something rideable.
    The EPO worries about me not having a choice and cycling every day so made me buy another motorbike. So I now have another motorbike in the garage taunting me on the days I can't really be bothered to cycle. I do take it apart every now and then to remove temptation. I'm sure she's trying to get rid of me.
  • joelsim
    I've bought loads of kit, so I now have to cycle to work. It's also helping with the non-smoking as every time I think about £200 per month I know what I'd rather be spending it on. Have had a few fags mind, when drinking, but I'm doing far far better than ever before.
  • Yeah... I worked out that I'd save around £800 this year even if I ended up getting PT in Dec/Jan - but think I've spent most of that on a new bike and gear.

However, it's easily justifiable when you think that come January, I'll still have all my new bike stuff.... and if I'd spent it on train tickets, it would just be gone.

Right... so that's justified me hunting down a pair of winter SPDs then :lol:
  • joelsim
    :D:D
  • Pep
    My cycle commute is 20 miles each way.

Holidays aside, I think I’ve only two driving days this year so far.

Wow, great. Hard to beat I think.
    Today day 9 of driving for me. Excuse: I am collecting furniture at work.
  • I got public transport today. Had to as I have a conference in Chesham tonight / tomorrow.

Made up for it with a 30 mile sunrise training ride. Sweating in the dark - FTW! :lol:
  • Only 1 day of non-cycle commuting for me. 2 days I've cycled only one way and 152 days cycling both ways, including today. It's 10 miles each way by the shortest route.

I still join the fraudsters though, as on Tuesday I used the car to get to evening class after being soaked twice on the commute.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Days off commuting by bike this year.

1 because of a night out after work.
    1 because of hospital appointment

7 weeks recovering from shoulder operation (5 weeks off work followed by two weeks on the bus).

I'm only really counting the 1 for a night out.